University of Utah Undergraduate Academic Program Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 10/08/2018
Requisition Number PRN18585B
Job Title Academic Program Support Specialist
Working Title Undergraduate Academic Program Support Specialist
Job Grade B
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00295 - Office of Admissions
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $13.58
Open Until Filled Yes
This position assists applicants in completing the admissions processes for admission as a transfer, readmit, or second bachelor’s degree student. The employee evaluates the transcripts and test scores and manages university records by performing clerical activities to maintain the students’ file. Prepares, verifies and enters data into computerized information systems.
1. Provides policy interpretation for applicants regarding transfer admission criteria, processes academic-related paperwork, and does final review of applicant’s admissions eligibility.
2. Reviews students’ applications for admissions into academic programs to ensure the paperwork is complete and accurate.
3. This position may provide general information for students regarding program areas being offered, or other areas related to academic services.
4. Monitors students’ academic files to ensure information is complete and updated by filling in information and changing records when applicable
5. Prioritizes daily work responsibilities and recommends changes to supervisor to improve processes.
6. Seeks to resolve problems and complaints by researching and determining other sources to assist in solutions.
7. Completes tasks assigned by supervisor in a timely manner.
8. May perform general office duties as required.
1. Evaluates, verifies and enters data/information from applications, transcripts and other credentials
2. Reviews input against source documents for accuracy and makes revisions as needed.
3. Researches and evaluates all documents for completeness to ensure complete academic record is entered on computer system.
4. Maintains document master files for backup and verification.
5. Handles questions and complaints from students, parents, and departments in a manner that will strengthen the university’s professional and cooperative image.
6. Recalls system stored information for verification or change of data
7. Investigates and resolves computer input and processing errors.
8. May be required to run queries and reports.
9. Required to perform clerical duties such as filing and answering telephones and emails.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned by administrators.
At this level the authority is broad and non-routine matters must be reviewed by the supervisor. This position is accountable for advising students and applicants regarding policy interpretation to assist students with decisions and procedures regarding admissions and academic program offerings, and university student services.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Three years of general office experience, one of which in an academic setting; and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills required. College coursework in a related area is preferred.
Department Specific Qualifications
1. Three years of general office experience, prefer one year in an academic setting; and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills required.
2. Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
3. Needs to have attention to detail.
4. An ability to provide high quality and quantity of work.
5. Good customer service and communication skills.
6. Problem solving ability
7. Some college experience required
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.