University of Utah Triage Medical Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/20/2018
Requisition Number PRN17005B
Job Title Medical Assistant
Working Title Triage Medical Assistant
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01101 - Pediatric Clinical Enterprise
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $13.62 - 22.47/hr
Open Until Filled Yes
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine is seeking an experienced Medical Assistant to join our ambulatory clinical care operations as a Triage Medical Assistant. The ambulatory group consists of 14 pediatric subspecialty divisions and service lines that practice primarily at Primary Children’s Hospital (PCH), Primary Children’s Outpatient Services Building, andPCHRiverton. The pediatric ambulatory clinics operate in conjunction with otherPCH, University and community pediatric providers.
The Triage Medical Assistant provides assistive care to patients. Facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the licensed staff, and provides support and assistance as directed by licensed staff in rendering basic healthcare to the patient. Assists with clerical functions as a multi-skilled auxiliary worker. Incumbents will support designated pediatric subspecialties, with opportunities to expand and work closely with multiple disciplines.
The University of Utah offers a comprehensive benefits package, with excellent health care choices, retirement plans and paid leave time. Current benefit information is available at www.hr.utah.edu/benefits.
• Phone management with patients’ parents and other customers, chart review, care coordination, triage, and problem management.
• Work closely with members of the Department of Pediatrics triage team to provide high quality, efficient care to patients and their families.
• Communicate directly and indirectly with the healthcare provider in order to appropriately coordinate patient care.
• Discuss patient and family concerns over the phone and/or via the electronic health record.
• Provide patient/family with instructions as provided by their physician.
• Communicate lab & other test results to families.
• Assist with medication refills per division-specific protocol.
• Assist providers and staff with patient-related paperwork such as letters of medical necessity,DMVforms, school care plans and medication preauthorization.
• Communicate adjustments or changes in treatment plans to families as instructed by physician.
• Assist providers with patient and customer communication.
• Provide patient education as directed (content reflects specific MA training, guidelines, care process models, protocols).
• Report significant changes in patient condition or other pertinent patient information to the care provider.
• Actively participate in triage customer service improvement initiatives.
• Actively participate in quality improvement initiatives (i.e.CQI,TQM, Lean, 100% participation, etc.).
Completion of a certified Medical Assistant program or current certification as anEMT- Intermediate in the state of Utah is required. Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card or obtain one within one month of hire; demonstrated phlebotomy skills and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required. Demonstrated proficiency in the specific clinic’s specialty skills within six weeks of hire is required. Specialty skills may not be performed until after the new hire completes competency testing.
Hiring department may prefer Medical Assistant Certification or Registration.
Care is appropriate to the population served.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Three or more years of experience in an outpatient clinic environment
• Previous telephone/triage experience
• Demonstrated experience in a pediatrics or family practice setting
• PreviousEMRand scheduling experience with Epic, Cerner, Help or Help2
Applicants will be screened according to preferences.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
We protect our patients, coworkers, and community by requiring all patient care employees to be immunized according to CDC standards. All patient care employees must receive the following vaccinations:
•Hepatitis B for some jobs
Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.