University of Utah Technology Licensing Manager in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/02/2018
Requisition Number PRN17686B
Job Title Technology Licensing Manager
Working Title Technology Licensing Manager
Job Grade H
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm
VP Area President
Department 00642 - Technology Commercialization
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 75900 to 148100
Open Until Filled Yes
Manages the assessment, marketing and protection of intellectual property created at the University of Utah and assists in the management of the Technology Commercialization operations.
1. Manages a portfolio of inventions.
2. Evaluates the commercial potential of new inventions, identifying new uses, potential markets, market sizes and competing technologies through the use of personal knowledge of emerging technologies, information developed from network of experts, on-line databases, internal tools and programs.
3. Evaluates the patentability of new inventions and is responsible for selecting the most effective strategy to protect them. Works with inventors to develop IP strategies. Selects and works with outside counsel to prepare patent or other applications.
4. Oversees management of the ongoing patent prosecution by outside patent counsel to assure that the proper strategy is followed, expenses are controlled, and patent, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property rights are properly protected. Manages the interaction between outside counsel and inventors to ensure that high quality IP is obtained.
5. Develops and implements commercialization strategies for a portfolio of technologies, identifies and cultivates qualified companies as potential licensees and evaluates business and marketing plans in a team environment. Proposes financial terms such as licensing fees, royalty rates, and business milestones to ensure that the licensee is required to make an effort sufficient to commercialize the technology. Negotiates, drafts, and executes confidential disclosure agreements, option and license agreements.
6. Develops and facilitates deep partnerships with multiple stakeholders including faculty and researchers, individual and industry partners, investors and entrepreneurs to drive the department vision and realize maximum value from University technologies.
7. Develops and implements customer service objectives for serving University researchers consistent with department goals. Ensures customer satisfaction by analyzing customer complaints, concerns and suggestions and provides appropriate follow through to ensure quality customer service.
8. Ensures University compliance policies are met in all aspects of the position.
9. Participates in industry specific conferences and national meetings of licensing associations.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Bachelor’s degree in a Life Science, Physical Science, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field required with advanced degree preferred. Five years full-time experience in industry, marketing or business development; and demonstrated effective communication and human relation skills required.
Entrepreneurial, communication and interpersonal skills are critical for success in this position.
Work experience in an industrial field specific to area of assignment (Pharma, Biomedical/Biotechnology, Diagnostics, Physical Sciences, or Computer Industry) is strongly preferred.
Previous university administrative or research experience, or familiarity with the university environment preferred. Work experience in a university or industry technology transfer office preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.