University of Utah Systems Administrator in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/01/2021
Requisition Number PRN25175B
Job Title Systems Administrator
Working Title Systems Administrator
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Standard work hours
VP Area President
Department 01555 - UIT INFRASTRUCTURE & OPS
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $47,600/yr. to $90,400/yr.
Open Until Filled Yes
Installs new software releases and system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches, and resolves software related problems. Performs system backups and recovery. Maintains data files and monitors system configuration to ensure data integrity. The candidate will be assigned to the monitoring team and will focus on central monitoring and logging systems.
This is a Category IIA position: Not required on campus and able to telework during the duration of the University’s COVID -19 response. Employees and/or functions where employees are able to work remotely in order to maintain campus systems, campus operations, clinical operations, and patient care.
• Becomes familiar and competent with Microsoft Windows Server through instruction by senior Team members.
• Analyzes system logs and identify potential issues with computer systems.
• Observes, documents and performs supporting tasks needed to integrate new technologies into existing data center environments.
• Assists with routine audits and reviews of systems and software and network infrastructure.
• Completes routine and pre-defined data backups and migrations.
• Applys operating system updates, patches, and configuration changes as directed by senior Team members.
• Follows pre-defined scripts to install and configure new hardware and software.
• Adds, removes, or updates user account information, resetting passwords, etc.
• Investigates technical queries and assists users.
• Understands and adheres to security policies and procedures.
• Assists with documenting the configuration of systems and processes as directed by senior Team members.
• Triages and begins troubleshooting reported problems.
• Assists senior Team members with system performance tuning.
• Follows developed protocols to validate that the system infrastructure is up and running.
• Understands, follows, and implements appropriate change management controls.
• Basic understanding of Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policies.
Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under general supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency with at least 2 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within field.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Experience with syslog, SNMP , WMI , Linux (Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu), and some scripting preferred. Also experience with open source logging solutions (logstash, graylog, syslog-ng, fluentd, kibana, elastic search, etc.) is preferred.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.