University of Utah Software Design Engineer in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 10/13/2020
Requisition Number PRN24519B
Job Title Software Design Engineer
Working Title Software Design Engineer
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 00336 - KUEN/Utah Education Network
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $47,600/yr. to $90,400/yr. DOE
Open Until Filled Yes
KUEN is looking for a software design engineer.
Designs, modifies, develops, writes and implements software programming applications. Supports and/or installs software applications/operating systems. Participates in the testing process through test review and analysis, test witnessing and certification of software. Following general guidelines and accepted technical approaches performs tasks in the design, development, and implementation of software engineering applications, the analysis and investigation of software engineering project tasks, the definition of design specifications and parameters, development and application of standard routines and utility programs, resolution of hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations and analysis of system architecture requirements and structure.
This is a Category IIA position: Not required on campus and able to telework during the duration of the University’s COVID -19 response. Employees and/or functions where employees are able to work remotely in order to maintain campus systems, campus operations, clinical operations, and patient care.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency and 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Department Specific Requirements
The ideal candidate is an experienced full-stack, Java web developer with demonstrated high proficiency in the following technologies and tools:
• Java 8 required, Java 9+ desired
• JSP and JSP Documents ( JSPX )
• Tomcat 8.5+ (basic configuration and use)
• Spring Framework 4 & 5, Spring MVC , Spring Security, Spring Data ( JPA /Hibernate)
• Thymeleaf templates
• Logging with Log4j 2
• Web services ( REST and SOAP ), Jersey 1.x and 2.x, Apache Axis 1.x, XML , JSON
• Development in the Eclipse IDE and / or Spring STS
• HTML5, CSS3, responsive design
• Maven use and understanding and authorship of POMs
• Source control with Git / Bitbucket
• Unit testing with JUnit in Spring MVC
• Atlassian JIRA and Confluence
• Knowledge of continuous integration with Jenkins and Bitbucket
• Demonstrated ability to debug both client- and server-side code
A suitable candidate also has:
• Database design experience, especially with PostgreSQL
• Effective verbal and written communication skills and effective interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of industry standard software development methodologies and practices
• The ability to capture user requirements and develop design documentation and user interfaces
• Ability to code detailed, functional pages from mockups in collaboration with designers
• Experience in developing software for the entire development life cycle, requirements gathering, analysis and design, development, test, deployment, support, and retirement
• Experience writing clean, maintainable, and testable Java code (including unit tests), using design patterns, industry standards and best practices.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Development experience on the MacOS (OS 10.x) and the ability to maintain one’s own laptop and software stack
• Knowledge of Identity and Access Management ( IAM ) methodologies, specifically with WSO2, SAML , OpenID / Connect
• Experience with Lucene indexing and Hibernate Search
• Bootstrap, UIKit experience
• Familiarity with virtualization tools including, VMware Fusion and Vagrant
• Knowledge of Apache 2.4+, including basic configuration and the implementation of rewrite / redirect rules
• Experience with RESTful API development / standardized grammar design
• Perl and / or Python experience
• Experience developing for mobile platforms
• Struts 1 and Struts 2
• Understanding of IP address numbering (IPv4 / IPv6)
• GUI testing with Selenium
• API testing with Postman
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.