University of Utah Security Corporal-Main Campus in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 08/24/2020
Requisition Number PRN24163B
Job Title Security Corporal
Working Title Security Corporal-Main Campus
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Sunday through Saturday variable shifts.
VP Area President
Department 02152 - Campus Security
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 17.50 t0 19.00
Close Date 11/24/2020
Open Until Filled No
Supervises Security Officers, carries out administrative responsibilities and performs advanced-level Security Officer duties.
This position is considered Category I: Mandatory and required on campus or health care facilities to support on-site operations. Employees hired into this category will be required to be physically located at designated University of Utah campus location if they are healthy and without COVID -19 symptoms.
1. Supervises Security Officers by training, assisting with interviewing and hiring,
evaluating performance, etc. to ensure a competent staff.
2. Replaces absentee officers on each shift and schedules additional staff for special coverage to ensure proper security coverage.
3. Unlocks university buildings at the beginning of each workday and secures University property by locking buildings after turning off lights and other electrical devices not in use.
4. Patrols assigned area by touring buildings, examining doors and windows, and inspecting for intrusions.
5. Assists the Fire Department by answering fire alarms with fire fighters and unlocking buildings and removing barriers to permit entry.
6. Assists Police Officers by investigating disturbances and referring calls to Police Dispatch if the disturbance involves a violation of the law.
7. Prepares reports from security officers of lockouts, unusual occurrences, equipment malfunctions, fire alarm discharges, and general disturbances, to advise department heads of potential security problems and improve internal communication for purposes of scheduling and management direction.
8. Provides special services to the university community, i.e. individual protection from injury, theft, or invasion of privacy, as well as directions and assistance to patrons and visitors to promote
helpful and secure environment.
9. Monitors the security of controlled substances and expensive equipment through closed-circuit television to prevent theft.
10. Assists hospital staff during a medical emergency by managing crowd control.
Two years security experience, or equivalency; the ability to stand and walk for eight hours; A valid Utah Driver’s License to be obtained within 6 months of hire; and the ability to pass an extensive background check required. In addition, the incumbent is required to be on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Demonstrated human relation skills and a working knowledge of radio codes and regulations along with a commitment to provide excellent customer service are also required.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.