University of Utah Research Associate in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/19/2018
Requisition Number PRN17845B
Job Title Research Associate
Working Title Research Associate
Job Grade A00
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01455 - Dermatology Clinical Hpp
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 28,000 to 60,000
Open Until Filled Yes
The Feng lab at the Department of Dermatology, University of Utah School of Medicine, conducts research on disease gene hunting, elucidation of disease mechanisms, clinical biomarker identification, early diagnostic model building, and the development of novel bioinformatics/biostatistical methods and software.
This lab has an immediate opening for a Research Associate (Benefited Staff) with an annual salary of $28,000 to $60,000 depending on the educational level and experiences of the applicant. The Research Associate will be working in multiple projects to identify disease biomarkers and develop a diagnostic test. The Research Associate will develop a protocol for proteomics experiment by the first 30 days; analyze the experimental data by 180 days; and publish multiple articles in scientific journals by the first year.
1. Prepare samples for proteomics experiments includingHPLC, Mass spectrometry,ELISA, and OLink;
2. Write and debug standard operating procedures and analytical protocols;
3. Conduct first-tier analyses of proteomics experiment results;
4. Conduct ontology analyses of proteins, including literature review, database search, network analysis, and multi-omic integration;
5. Document experiment procedures, results and findings in an electronic laboratory notebook;
6. Communicate with clinicians and senior researchers regarding result interpretation;
7. Write manuscripts for publication and make presentations at international conferences;
8. Assist with progress reports and grant applications;
9. Oversee lab equipment maintenance;
1. BS/MS/PhD or post doctoral in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, proteomics, molecular biology, bioinformatics, computational biology, or biostatistics
2. Good understanding of protein separation, purification,ELISA, and Mass spectrometry principles
3. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
4. Outstanding academic writing skills
5. Enthusiasm for scientific research, learning new technologies, and solving problems
1. Experiences in proteomics or protein post-translational modification analysis is preferred
2. Experiences in computer programing, biostatistical analysis and Linux operation is preferred
3. Multidisciplinary background in both biochemistry/proteomics and biostatistics/bioinformatics/data-science is preferred
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.