University of Utah PS Medical Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 01/31/2019
Requisition Number PRN08981N
Job Title PS Medical Assistant
Working Title PS Medical Assistant
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19 hours
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
1st & 3rd week of month= M,T, & F
2nd & 5th week of month= M,T, & TH
4th week of month= M,T, & W
Hours vary from 8am-5pm. Shifts are subject to change.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 00262 - Plastic & Reconstruct Surgery
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.00 to 15.00
Provides assistive care to patients. Facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the licensed staff, and provides support and assistance as directed by licensed staff in rendering basic healthcare to the patient. Assists with clerical functions as a multi-skilled auxiliary worker.
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Sciences exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. The Health Sciences Center seeks faculty and staff who are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission.
1. Prepares patients for examinations and diagnostic procedures according to clinic procedures such as recording temperatures, pulse rate, blood pressure and responses to standardized medical history questions.
2. Reports all observed patient concerns and changes in condition to a licensed staff member.
3. Performs Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Waved Lab tests such as urine dip stick, Hgb, Hct, finger stick, glucose, hemoccults, hCg and reports results. May perform patient phlebotomies in accordance with clinic procedures and physician orders after specialized training.
4. Performs specialty skills such as suture removal, straight cathaterization and injections (IM, Subq and intradermal).
5. Acts as a chaperone for health care providers during patient examination as requested and assists with procedures.
6. Monitors and cleans assigned patient examination rooms, unit areas and unit equipment reporting outdated supplies, stock levels and restock set levels of items and necessary equipment repairs.
7. Answers telephones, forwards telephone messages and under the direction of licensed staff schedules appointments, procedures and diagnostic tests.
8. Assists in routine clerical functions such as filing of patient’s records, locating and compiling department charts, obtaining medical records from other providers and entering charges for billing purposes.
9. Attends and completes mandatory inservices including infection control, safety,CPR, equipment usage and procedures according to department policies.
10. May apply leads and monitors for diagnostic procedures such asEKGand ultrasound scan under the direct supervision of licensed personnel.
11. May assist inpatient and family education by providing educational material and general health information to patients and family members.
12. May assist with transportation of patients to ancillary departments or inpatient units as directed by licensed staff.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Completion of a certified Medical Assistant program or current certification as anEMT- Intermediate in the state of Utah is required. Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card or obtain one within one month of hire; demonstrated phlebotomy skills and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required. Demonstrated proficiency in the specific clinic’s specialty skills within six weeks of hire is required. Specialty skills may not be performed until after the new hire completes competency testing.
Hiring department may prefer Medical Assistant Certification or Registration.
Care is appropriate to the population served.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according toCDCstandards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “email@example.com” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.