University of Utah PS Community Health Workers in Salt Lake City, Utah
Requisition Number PRN10914N
Job Title PS Community Health Worker
Working Title PS Community Health Workers
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 7 to 21 hours. 1 to 3 days a week/month
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01620 - Chief Wellness Office
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $19.22
The University of Utah operates a Mobile Health Program aimed at reducing diabetes
and other chronic diseases in the state of Utah. Our vision is to create healthier
communities by partnering with community organizations to provide culturally
appropriate health and wellness counseling, education, and screening services
directly to those who might otherwise lack access to preventive care.
The University of Utah Office of Wellness and Integrative Health seeks a Community
Health Worker to provide preventive screening services, education, and outreach to
vulnerable populations. This is an opportunity to contribute to the wellness of local
communities. This position is located on a mobile vehicle that travels to various
communities throughout the Salt Lake Valley, and neighboring counties.
Candidate must be able to find own transportation to RV designated sites.
PAID JOB TRAINING PROVIDED***
Tongan, Samoan, Swahilli, Arabic, Kinyarwanda languages preferred***
Multiple positions will be offered from this posting in Salt Lake, Ogden & Orem, Utah. Working days and hours will vary based on location.
1. Conduct health screenings for blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, and body weight (screening training provided).
2. Provide health counseling and education to increase knowledge of self-sufficiency.
3. Help clients in identifying their health goals; work closely with patients and
wellness coach to help patients determine the best course of action for good health.
4. Identify and help coordinate community events and workshops.
5. Participate in various community events helping community members with
diabetes education and health needs.
6. Provide outreach to potential and existing clients in the community and at events.
7. Assist in the coordination of client referrals to housing, food, transportation, and other social services as needed.
8. Work with staff and volunteers to establish trusting relationships with clients while providing support and encouragement.
9. Fill out client electronic intake questionnaire and screening assessment.
10. Make regular follow-up calls and assist patients with follow-up appointments.
11. Provides preventive screening services, education, and outreach to vulnerable populations.
12. Serves as professional representative of the Office of Wellness and Integrative Health Program
13. Document each client encounter in detail.
14. Attend regular scheduled staff meetings
High School diploma, or equivalent. Demonstrated relationship-building and effective communication skills.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Care is appropriate to the population served.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Bi-lingual in Tongan, Samoan, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, or Arabic languages.
• Be able to perform computer/tablet data entry.
• Ability to carry out written and oral instructions and to act professionally while
carrying out job duties.
• Member of, or close knowledge of communities being served.
• Prior experience as an outreach/community health worker.
• Certified CNA or health educator.
• CPR trained.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “email@example.com” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.