University of Utah PRN Apheresis Collection in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 08/05/2020
Requisition Number PRN10570N
Job Title PS Cell Therapy Tech I
Working Title PRN Apheresis Collection
Job Grade E
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week up to 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
M-F, 7am to 4pm and weekends as needed
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 01601 - Cell Therapy/Regenerative Med
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range Up to $32/hour DOQ
This is a PRN position responsible for supporting the clinical Bone Marrow Transplantation Program; for collection, processing, storing and the infusion of peripheral stem cell or bone marrow products used for hematopoietic rescue or bone marrow transplant.
Medical Technologist with ASCP or NCA certification preferred. Master’s degree in a biological science preferred.
1. Performs HPC (Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell) – Apheresis, Bone Marrow, Cord Blood Product processing, receipt, release and return (per SOP ).
2. Performs analysis of HCT /P (Human Cellular and Tissue based products) for stem and progenitor cell content – Flow Cytometry.
3. Performs apheresis procedures specific to the use of COBE spectra with MNC kit. Assists with the collection of bone marrow in the operating room and operates standard lab equipment required for the processing and characterization of HCT /Ps.
4. Performs in vitro culture assays under cGMP conditions and demonstrates use of aseptic technique to perform in vitro cell culture and ex vivo expansion of tissue isolates.
5. Infuses HPC Products – Professional interaction with clinical staff and patient population.
6. Documents patient information, donor eligibility, chart preparation and review in an accurate and timely manner. Coordinates physician communication as needed to ensure accurate processing directives.
7. Performs quality control procedures for both the equipment and laboratory. Successfully participates in laboratory proficiency program.
8. Reviews collection, processing and general Standard Operating Procedures including authorship assignments, review and acknowledgements in database.
9. Performs validation procedures with regard to establishment, optimization and change of SOP and use of equipment and reagents.
Responsible for reproducibility and accuracy of data and analyses. Assists in the collation of data and report preparation.
10. Manages project timelines, budgets, scope and labor.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Seldom: Infectious disease, oils ( there is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids ).
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking, standing, sitting.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in a biological science or equivalency. Two years experience in lab, research, or related environment. Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire. Two years lab experience in bone marrow processing and stem cell collection with exposure to blood banking, hematology, cell culture and apheresis.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
• Nursing Degree
• Two years of experience with apheresis and/or lab experience in bone marrow processing and stem cell collection with exposure to blood banking, hematology, cell culture and apheresis.
• Phlebotomy preferred
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “email@example.com” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.