University of Utah NHMU Graphic Designer in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 09/25/2018
Requisition Number PRN18488B
Job Title Graphic Designer
Working Title NHMU Graphic Designer
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Typically 9 am to 5 pm
VP Area President
Department 00018 - Utah Museum of Natl Hist Oper
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range up to $35,000 per year
Open Until Filled Yes
The Natural History Museum of Utah is seeking a Graphic Designer with experience in both print and electronic media, who will work in a creative, innovative, fast-paced environment with a variety of museum staff members to address communication needs, conceptualize ideas, and create visual designs within established budgets.
At the Natural History Museum of Utah we place a strong emphasis on providing an exceptional experience to every guest who visits the museum or participates in any of our programs. All staff members, at every level and in all departments, are a critical part of providing this level of experience. Candidates selected for employment withNHMUwill receive training and be expected to consistently contribute to creating an exceptional and memorable experience at every opportunity.
• Meets with internal clients initially to determine overall goals, communication needs, budget and deadlines; meets subsequently to discuss changes and finalize project details
• Researches and studies ideas related to each project; conceptualizes original work to communicate intent of project
• Develops cost estimates for clients by balancing the needs of the project with the available budget
• Designs a wide range of artistic material such as signs, banners, posters, brochures, billboards, and web graphics using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, and Microsoft Office Suite in the Macintosh environment.
• Produces art for assigned project, by arranging visuals, copy, etc. in available space to maximize impact
• Completes press checks to maintain design quality and accuracy
• May hire outside vendors including photographers, illustrators and/or production artists to meet particular styles of photography, or illustration
• May keep department computer hardware and software running and up-to-date by trouble shooting problems and reviewing new programs
• Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Illustration, or a related area plus 3 years of related experience and a portfolio at the time of the interview required; demonstrated effective communication skills; the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines; and a commitment to provide excellent customer service required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Active interest in design trends, color theory, and modern aesthetics
• Writing and editing experience
• Experience leading creative teams and designing with other professionals
• Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers and clients
• Passion for science and nature
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
Select three to five samples of your graphic design work that represent the breadth of your portfolio. Combine them as a singlePDFand attach it in the area indicated as “Writing Sample #1”. Select one sample of your best writing work (any format is acceptable) and attach it as “Writing Sample #2”.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.