University of Utah Middleware Systems Administrator in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 06/11/2018
Requisition Number PRN17462B
Job Title Systems Administrator
Working Title Middleware Systems Administrator
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday to Friday between 8 am to 5 pm; Additional hours may be required.
VP Area President
Department 01555 - UIT INFRASTRUCTURE & OPS
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $47,600 to $90,400 DOE
Open Until Filled Yes
University Information Technology (UIT) has an opening for a Middleware Systems Administrator position within the Software Platform Services team. This position is responsible for designing and implementing secure, highly available and scalable middle tier and web hosting infrastructure solutions.
Critical skills and experience needed to be successful in this position include at least two years with Linux systems, automated configuration management tools, application servers, shell scripting, and programming language.
Located in Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the flagship institution of the State of Utah’s system of higher education and a member of thePAC-12 Conference. Salt Lake City combines the amenities of a major metropolitan area of more than one million people with the friendliness and ease of living of a small, Western city. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive from campus, and opportunities to pursue activities from biking to hiking to fishing abound. Salt Lake is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera, the Utah Ballet, several professional sports teams, and a wide range of other cultural and recreational activities.
University Information Technology, the central IT service provider for campus, reports to the Chief Information Officer and is responsible for many of the University of Utah’s most critical common IT resources including the campus network; the Campus Information Services (CIS) portal; UMail, telephone, and online collaboration services; high performance and research computing; information security; teaching and learning technologies; software licensing; and a host of other systems and applications. For more information aboutUITvisit http://www.it.utah.edu.
- Designs, installs, administers, and maintains highly available and scalable middle tier and web hosting infrastructure solutions
- Installs new software releases and system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches, and resolves software related problems
- Designs/develops, tests, and implements automated administrative tasks related to the middle-tier and web hosting infrastructure
- Monitors capacity and analyzes information concerning processing time, response times, application/software,CPUloads, etc. for future growth and proactively informs management of potential areas of concerns, makes recommendations, and provides capacity planning/metric reports
- Collaborates with service owners to configure applications that meet the business needs
- Conduct technical evaluations on new products and features and provides recommendations and directions for implementation
- Creates and maintains technical documentation on critical processes and standards
- On-call required
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency with at least 2 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Experience in at least three of the following areas:
• Windows and Linux system administration
• Automated configuration management tools (e.g. Puppet, Chef, SaltStack).
• Application servers (WebLogic, Apache Tomcat, Tuxedo, Glassfish, JBoss,IIS)
• Knowledge and understanding of Jenkins, Atlassian products (Bitbucket/Stash, Wiki),GIT, Crontab
• Shell scripting and/or a programming language.
•AWS, Azure orGCP
• Experience with Docker and related tools a plus (Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm)
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.