University of Utah Middleware Systems Administrator Sr in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/02/2021
Requisition Number PRN25214B
Job Title Systems Administrator Sr
Working Title Middleware Systems Administrator Sr
Job Grade G
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 01555 - UIT INFRASTRUCTURE & OPS
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $60,700/yr. to $95,000/yr. DOE
Open Until Filled Yes
University Information Technology ( UIT ) has an opening for a PeopleSoft Middleware Systems Administrator position within the Software Platform Services team. This position is responsible for designing and implementing secure, highly available and scalable middle-tier infrastructure solutions for the PeopleSoft environment.
About UIT : University Information Technology ( UIT ), the central IT service provider for campus, reports to the Chief Information Officer and is responsible for many of the University of Utah’s most critical common IT resources including the campus network; the Campus Information Services ( CIS ) portal; UMail, telephone, and online collaboration services; high performance and research computing; information security; teaching and learning technologies; software licensing; and a host of other systems and services. For more information about UIT visit http://www.it.utah.edu.
About the University: Located in Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the flagship institution of the State of Utah’s system of higher education and a member of the PAC -12 Conference. Salt Lake City combines the amenities of a major metropolitan area of more than one million people with the friendliness and ease of living of a small, Western city. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive from campus, and opportunities to pursue activities from biking to hiking to fishing abound. Salt Lake is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera, the Utah Ballet, several professional sports teams, and a wide range of other cultural and recreational activities. http://www.employment.utah.edu/staff/work.php
This is a Category IIA position: Not required on campus and able to telework during the duration of the University’s COVID -19 response. Employees and/or functions where employees are able to work remotely in order to maintain campus systems, campus operations, clinical operations, and patient care.
- Designs, installs, administers, and maintains highly available and scalable middle-tier infrastructure solutions for the PeopleSoft environment
- Installs, upgrades, tunes/optimizes, manages, and secures virtual servers running the Enterprise PeopleSoft platform and other related systems as assigned
- Installs new software releases and system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches, and resolves software related problems
- Designs/develops, tests, and implements automated administrative tasks related to the middle-tier infrastructure
- Monitors capacity and analyzes information concerning processing time, response times, application/software, CPU loads, etc. for future growth and proactively informs management of potential areas of concerns, makes recommendations, and provides capacity planning/metric reports
- Collaborates with service owners to configure applications that meet the business needs
- Conducts technical evaluations on new products and features and provides recommendations and directions for implementation
- Creates and maintains technical documentation on critical processes and standards
- On-call required
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Require a bachelor’s degree in a related area, or equivalency, and 3-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Department Specific Experience:
- Experience with Linux system administration
- Experience with VMWare
- Experience with automated configuration management tools (e.g. Puppet, Chef, SaltStack, Docker)
- Experience with application servers (WebLogic, Apache Tomcat, Tuxedo, Glassfish, JBoss, IIS )
- Knowledge and understanding of Jenkins, Atlassian products (Bitbucket/Stash, Wiki), GIT , Crontab
- Experience with shell scripting, Python, and Java, not required but desired
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Experience working with an ERP system (e.g. PeopleSoft, Banner, SAP )
- Experience working in Higher Education
- Linux is a requirement and Windows Server is a plus
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.