University of Utah Medical Assistant I in Salt Lake City, Utah
Requisition Number PRN10790N
Job Title PS Medical Assistant I
Working Title Medical Assistant I
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01455 - Dermatology Clinical Hpp
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 15.15 - 26.40
This position provides assistive care to patients. The incumbent facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the licensed staff, and provides support and assistance as directed by licensed staff in rendering basic healthcare to the patient. This position also assists with clerical functions as a multi-skilled auxiliary worker.
This position may be required to access and administer medications within their scope of practice and according to State Law.
• Prepares patients for examinations and diagnostic procedures according to clinic procedures such as recording temperatures, pulse rate, blood pressure and responses to standardized medical history questions.
• Reports all observed patient concerns and changes in condition to a licensed staff member.
• Performs Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments ( CLIA ) Waved Lab tests as identified by department and reports results to the appropriate personnel. May perform patient phlebotomy in accordance with clinic procedures and physician orders after specialized training.
• Performs additional skills such as suture removal, straight catheterization and injections (IM, Subq and intra-dermal).
• Acts as a chaperone for health care providers during patient examination as requested and assists with procedures.
• Monitors and cleans assigned patient examination rooms, unit areas and unit equipment reporting outdated supplies, stock levels and restock set levels of items and necessary equipment repairs.
• Answers telephones, forwards telephone messages and under the direction of licensed staff schedules appointments, procedures and diagnostic tests.
• Assists in routine clerical functions such as filing of medical information in patient’s records, locating and compiling department charts, obtaining medical records from other providers and entering charges for billing purposes.
• Attends and completes mandatory education including infection prevention and control, safety, CPR , equipment usage and procedures according to hospital and department policies.
• May apply leads and monitors for diagnostic procedures such as EKG and ultrasound scan under the direct supervision of licensed personnel.
• May assist inpatient and family education by providing educational material and general health information to patients and family members.
• May assist with transportation of patients to ancillary departments or inpatient units as directed by licensed staff.
• May instruct in Basic Life Support ( BLS ) requirements.
• May perform IV access.
• May perform other duties based on department assigned.
Incumbents face exposure to potentially dangerous contaminated bodily fluids, blood, used needles and other contaminants as part of the daily hazards of the job. The physical demand of being on your feet for long periods of time, of moving and lifting patients and of reaching for and handling equipment are common elements of the job.
The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patient’s status and provide care as described in the department’s policies and procedures manual.
Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “email@example.com” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.