University of Utah Manager, Operations in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 03/23/2021
Requisition Number PRN25624B
Job Title Manager, Operations
Working Title Manager, Operations
Job Grade G
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 00717 - Office of Comparative Medicine
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 60700 to 115300
Open Until Filled Yes
Under minimal supervision, responsible for department operations pertaining to administrative, financial, personnel, and organizational functions. Provides strategic support and leadership in planning, developing, and implementing new programs to advance the mission and goals of the department. Assesses departmental operations using data-driven approaches that can be used to inform decisions, process changes, budgeting, and strategic planning. Initiates and manages departmental initiatives that improve service quality and efficiency.
1. Manages department recharge activities including billing and associated customer service interactions. Develops strong knowledge of software systems used in billing and tracking. Works collegially with customers to address complaints.
2. Coordinates human resources activities to ensure adequate staffing across department activities and compliance with internal HR procedures. Oversees personnel recruitment efforts, performance evaluation, and performance improvement activities.
3. Manages procurement to ensure availability of supplies and equipment. Tracks supply and equipment utilization across operational units to ensure efficiency.
4. Tracks departmental production metrics and aggregates data for use in strategic planning. Coordinates budgeting activities across the department and assists the Director in financial planning.
5. Directly supervises departmental administrative personnel.
6. Recommends procedural changes that enhance department workflows and customer service.
7. Works effectively with other departmental leaders to assist in implementation of programmatic changes and projects that advance the department’s mission and goals.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related area of assignment or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of assigned department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department.
Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.