University of Utah Maintenance Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 08/17/2020
Requisition Number PRN10593N
Job Title Maintenance Specialist
Working Title Maintenance Specialist
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
Temporary position that is anticipated to run through the end of September. It may be extended beyond September if needed.
4 hours a day, TBD , can very between 7am and 3pm.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area President
Department 00334 - KUED
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $15.19/hr. to $28.08/hr.
Advanced level trades skills to perform maintenance and repair work of equipment, machinery, appliances, utilities, buildings, facilities, fixtures, systems, etc. in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications. Is knowledgeable in the procedures and safety measures in area(s) of specialty.
This is a Category I position: Mandatory Required on Campus or at Health Care Facilities.
Main Campus staff: Employees and/or functions designated as mandatory, requiring employees to be physically located on campus in order to maintain campus systems and operations if they are healthy without symptoms.
U of U Health Academics Faculty and Staff: All employees necessary for the direct on-site support of clinical operations, patient care, and essential research activities if they are healthy without COVID -19 symptoms.
1. Performs electrical work to repair or replace electrical motors, electrical equipment, control devices, etc.
2. Performs carpentry work in constructing repairing or installing countertops, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, building frames and trim.
3. Performs painting work by preparing the walls, doors, and exposed surfaces for painting and by painting those areas using any combination of brushes, rollers or spray guns. May be required to erect scaffolding in order to paint in high places.
4. Performs preventive maintenance on machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pumps, pneumatic tools, and conveyor systems in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications.
5. May make work assignments for maintenance mechanics and maintenance workers and follows up on assignment to ensure that work was completed properly and on time.
6. May train maintenance mechanics and maintenance workers on specific standards, procedures and policies to be followed.
7. May review time cards for crew and prepares time sheets for submission to department.
8. May participate in hiring, firing and salary recommendations on maintenance mechanics and maintenance workers.
9. May prepare performance appraisals and responds to grievances or complaints.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Four years relevant work experience in the applicable trades areas with one of those years in a lead capacity; demonstrated knowledge of national, state and local building codes and standards; ability to read wiring diagrams, blueprints, and be able to make mechanical sketches and drawings; and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills required. Requires lifting and transporting heavy objects. A valid Utah Driver’s license may be required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “email@example.com” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.