University of Utah Maintenance Mechanic in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/22/2020
Requisition Number PRN23628B
Job Title Maintenance Mechanic
Working Title Maintenance Mechanic
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 00307 - Housing & Residential Educ
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $15.44 per hour
Open Until Filled Yes
Installs, maintains, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance on building structures, small appliances, mechanical and electrical equipment, and utilities throughout the University campus.
Category I: Mandatory Required on Campus or at Health Care Facilities.
oMain Campus staff: Employees and/or functions designated as mandatory, requiring employees to be physically located on campus in order to maintain campus systems and operations if they are healthy without symptoms.
1. Inspects equipment, appliances, structures, and buildings to determine if repairs are warranted and may be assigned to estimate cost of repairs.
2. Repairs electrical equipment or appliances by troubleshooting problems, replacing worn parts, switches, fuses, and rewiring electric motors.
3. Installs electrical equipment to include lights, ballasts, switches, sockets, plugs, etc., following manufacturer’s instructions and safety precautions.
4. May construct or modify small structures such as sheds, hot houses, or make repairs to buildings, roofs, and floors. Determines and orders materials to be used for those repairs or modifications.
5. May construct or repair desks, counter tops, and cabinets using appropriate carpentry tools.
6. Installs or repairs dry wall in facilities and buildings and prepares surfaces for finishing and painting. Hangs doors and installs hardware such as door knobs, dead bolts, hinges, etc.
7. May be assigned to paint interiors and exteriors of structures, facilities or buildings using spray equipment or painting by hand; mixes paints, varnishes or stains in order to match existing color scheme.
8. Assists in installing plumbing fixtures such as sinks, toilets, urinals, and shower accessories.
9. May perform preventive maintenance on secondary air handling and temperature systems by inspecting units on a scheduled basis, making minor adjustments, replacing steam traps, fan pulley belts, filters, lubricating motors, and pulleys.
10. Replaces broken windows, mirrors, and other glass products. May also replace ceramic tile and regrout tile area as needed.
11. May inspect mechanical equipment such as diesel engines, high vacuum pumps, air pumps, autoclaves, other appliances and other equipment, making repairs or rebuilding as needed.
12. Maintains a log of repairs made, materials used, and the date repairs were made so that an audit trail can be followed should the equipment become inoperative.
13. May lay carpet, floor tile, wood and parquet or may patch or mend them in order to keep floors in good repair.
14. May clean out sewer system pipes using hand or power auger.
15. May repair broken metal equipment and furniture by soldering or welding broken pieces together in order that they may be used again.
16. Uses appropriate hand or machine tools associated with the trades area in which the task is assigned. May operate a variety of machines as required in order to complete the job.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Two years relevant work experience in the applicable trades areas; a basic understanding of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, heating, air conditioning, and welding; and the ability to move heavy objects required. A valid Utah Driver’s license; positive oral and written communications skills along with excellent customer service skills; and the ability to read and work from wiring diagrams, appliance handbooks, blueprints, and drawings also required. Training at a technical college in electrical, plumbing, carpentry, diesel engine repair, welding, or refrigeration and air conditioning is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.