University of Utah Lifeguard in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/20/2019
Requisition Number PRN09466N
Job Title Staff Specialist
Working Title Lifeguard
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week varies - 10 hours/week
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
Flexible. Some afternoons/evenings.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 00196 - Exercise and Sport Science
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 9.50/hr
Reports to the Pool Manager who works directly with the Exercise and Sport Science Department. Lifeguards are responsible for the supervision of the pool area during instructional program hours, athletic swim meets, youth education programs, and all other special events scheduled in the natatorium. Lifeguards may be responsible for opening and securing the pool facilities along with ensuring that a safe and enjoyable environment is maintained
• Oversee the pool and swimmers at all times to ensure a safe environment.
• Enforce rules and regulations regarding the safe and proper use of the pool and deck area.
• Secure pool facility upon opening and closing.
• Maintain daily usage statistics.
• Complete and maintain the required pool chemical testing forms and safety check-list forms.
• Report equipment, supplies, safety, and maintenance needs.
• Prepare pool facilities for scheduled activities.
• Prepare incident reports when appropriate.
• Maintain courteous relations with all participants and insist that all swimmer conduct is suitable for a safe pool atmosphere.
• Understand College of Health policies relating to the pool, and answer all questions courteously and correctly.
• Respond to and follow all appropriate emergency procedures.
• Attend all Lifeguard meetings and in-service training.
• Maintain current certifications and physical fitness in order to perform rescue skills.
Must possess current lifeguard certification **
• Previous lifeguard experience.
• Awareness of safety concerns and risk management.
• Ability to provide positive customer service.
• Awareness of, and appreciation for, individual uniqueness and diversity.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “email@example.com” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.