University of Utah Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 03/12/2021
Requisition Number PRN25532B
Job Title PS Lab Technician
Working Title Lab Technician
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 01167 - HCI Clinical Trials Operations
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.02 to 18.00
Open Until Filled Yes
Responsible for the collecting, processing and shipping all of the research samples for the clinical trials managed by Huntsman Cancer Institute Clinical Trials Office. The incumbent will be familiar with a variety of research laboratory concepts, practices, and procedures.
This position is considered Category I: Mandatory and required on campus or health care facilities to support on-site operations. Employees hired into this category will be required to be physically located at HCI if they are healthy and without COVID -19 symptoms.
1. Obtains blood specimens by established venipuncture and capillary techniques.
2. Follows procedures and work practices related to collection, processing, storage and shipment of research specimens as defined in lab manuals, protocols and study-specific reference materials.
3. Responsible for primary trial assignments and related duties, which include trial start-up; in-depth knowledge of trial requirements; maintenance of notes and study reference materials; and inventory management.
4. Responsible for validation of SP requests and preparation of kits and other materials for specimen collections per standard lab practices.
5. Ensures specimen integrity through appropriate handling and accurate labeling of specimens, related requisitions and documentation.
6. Manages time and workload efficiently and prioritizes workflow effectively; able to assess workload and delegates responsibilities to other team members when appropriate.
7. Adheres to safe laboratory practices while maintaining a clean and organized work space.
8. Create and update Work Practice Documents.
9. Communicates & collaborates effectively with all groups within the CTO , Sponsors and Clinic/Hospital Staff.
10. Able to work independently; demonstrates adequate problem-solving skills and awareness of available resources.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or other scientific disciplines in a related field or equivalency required; knowledge of complex laboratory techniques, equipment, terminology, materials and substances. Skilled in the use of laboratory equipment, ability to create and analyze statistical calculations and prepare reports required; and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills also required. OSHA training and certification in animal care and use or the willingness to complete the certification may be required by some departments.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Successful candidates will have:
Have a positive attitude and be a positive representative of CTO
Professional maturity in communication, self-conduct, behavior, dress, ethics, and decision-making
Capable of multi-tasking and paying attention to details
Able to resolve issues with co-workers, CRCs, RDCs, Central Labs, and Sponsors with minimal input from management and leadership
Proficiency using Excel, Word, and Outlook, and Internet applications
Works as part of a team and recognizes when other team members need
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.