University of Utah Lab Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 11/21/2014
Requisition Number PRN04002N
Job Title Lab Assistant
Working Title Lab Assistant
Job Grade B
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time?
Work Schedule Summary
Is this a work study job? No
Department 00244 - Neurology
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 9.28 to 14.00
Performs semi-technical laboratory and research procedures under the general supervision of senior laboratory personnel.
1. Performs physical, chemical, and/or biological tests according to established procedures.
2. Prepares specimens according to established laboratory practices.
3. Follows prescribed procedures for maintaining laboratory equipment and facilities.
4. Prepares reagents, compounds, solutions and other media for research experimentation.
5. Assists with inventory, ordering and stocking laboratory supplies and equipment.
6. Maintains records of research data and may prepare charts or illustrations for the Principal Investigator.
7. May care for experimental animals, observe animals’ conditions and report unusual developments to the Principal Investigator.
8. May prepare animals for experimental procedures, administer drugs as instructed and assist in surgeries.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
One year full-time laboratory experience or equivalency required; knowledge of laboratory techniques, equipment and terminology as well as knowledge of chemical and physical properties of materials or substances and appropriate specimen handling techniques required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills are also required.OSHAtraining and certification in animal care and use or the willingness to complete the certification may be required by some departments.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.