University of Utah Healthcare Writer in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/10/2018
Requisition Number PRN17764B
Job Title Marketing/Communications Specialist
Working Title Healthcare Writer
Job Grade E
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Occasional after-hours and weekend shifts for on-call coverage as needed
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01757 - PUBLIC AFFAIRS
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $45,000 to $55,000
Open Until Filled Yes
University of Utah Health Office of Public Affairs is seeking a talented communications specialist with a passion for healthcare and a flair for writing. As part of a vibrant communications team working in a fast-paced environment, the specialist will produce diverse and dynamic content that tells the story of leading-edge research, patient care and education, while elevating the reputation of the institution.
• Strong writing skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Produces news releases, articles, blogs, op-eds and other web and print content, and engages in social media, to support the communications goals of University of Utah Health.
• Ability to tailor content to target internal, scientific, or general audiences.
• Develops story ideas, evaluates tips, prepares and distributes news releases.
• Facilitates media requests as needed.
• Cultivates productive relationship with members of the media.
• Assists with press conferences and events as needed.
• Conducts interviews with faculty from various scientific and medical fields, patients, other stakeholders.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting, and under deadline pressures.
• Occasional after-hours and weekend shifts for on-call coverage as needed.
Bachelor’s degree English, Journalism, Communications, or related field plus 3 years of related experience, or equivalency; excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills; familiarity with a variety of computer software; project management and strong interpersonal skills; ability to work both individually and in a team setting.
Some areas may require additional experience with specific computer systems and may require skills in interviewing, ad copy writing, editing, photography, web writing, graphic design, audio & video production, and oral presentation.
Master’s degree in a related field may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Print writing background is preferred.
• Strong editing skills preferred.
• Appreciation of changing media landscape and roles of alternative communications outlets.
• Expertise with regional and national media markets.
• Demonstrated understanding of an academic environment.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.