University of Utah Health Care Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/22/2020
Requisition Number PRN23702B
Job Title PS Health Care Assistant
Working Title Health Care Assistant
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01455 - Dermatology Clinical Hpp
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $12.35 - $20.38
Open Until Filled Yes
This position provides patient care at the direction of a Registered Nurse. Requiring direct contact with patients and their families as well as the performance of indirect patient care activities necessary to support patients and their environment.
This position may be required to access medications within their scope of practice and according to State Law.
1. Assists the patient with feeding, drinking, ambulating, grooming, toileting, dressing, socializing and unit specific technical skills.
2. Reinforces or assists in educating and teaching patients/significant other(s) as delegated by the professional care provider.
3. Collects, reports and documents data related to direct patient care activities.
4. Assists with indirect patient care activities such as providing a clean, efficient and safe patient care environment, companion care, housekeeping, transporting of patients, and chaperoning the physician during patient examinations and procedures as needed.
5. Performs unit specific duties and additional clerical duties as needed which may include stocking and maintaining clerical and patient supplies.
6. Provides communication to hospital staff, physicians, patients, families, and visitors.
7. May process electronic requests to order medical treatments and tests. May retrieve patient test and lab results.
8. May schedule patient appointments.
9. May maintain patient records and activity boards on unit as needed.
10. May manage admits, discharges, and transfer functions per unit standard.
11. Responsible for processing paper orders in the event of a downtime if working in the clerical role. Will enter “downtime occurrence order” and associated start and stop time in each patient record.
12. May observe the cardiac monitor and notify the nursing and medical staff of any abnormal heart rhythm variances which indicate heart ischemia or an acute myocardial infarction.
Current certification as a Nursing Assistant, or completion of first round of clinical and current enrollment in approved nursing education program or successful completion of RN program. Basic Life Support Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire.
For those enrolled in a nursing program, incumbents have three months from completion of RN program to obtain an RN license. If an RN license is not obtained by the end of those three months, the incumbent must immediately obtain a current CNA .
Individuals in this job code with an RN license must also have a CNA certification if they remain in it longer than three months.
Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Care is appropriate to the population served
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.