University of Utah Evaluation and Research Associate in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/07/2019
Requisition Number PRN20626B
Job Title Research Associate
Working Title Evaluation and Research Associate
Job Grade A00
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Generally, M-F 8am-5pm. Occasionally, extended days and/or weekend hours may be necessary for special projects/events or travel.
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 01323 - Utah Education Policy Center
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 45,000-75,000
Open Until Filled Yes
The Utah Education Policy Center (UEPC) is an independent, non-partisan University of Utah research center in the College of Education that bridges research, policy, and practice for Utah public schools and higher education. TheUEPCseeks to inform and influence educational policy in Utah and the region to increase educational equity, excellence, access, and opportunities for all children and adults in Utah. The Utah Education Policy Center:
- Engages in timely and rigorous educational research and evaluation,
- Provides reliable answers to questions about the success of current educational practices and programs,
- Guides policymakers, decision-makers, and practitioners on the utilization of research findings to improve policies and practices, and
- Collaborates with practitioners to improve educational practices through planning, coaching, and outcome-focused processes.
This is an opportunity to collaborate with an enthusiastic, talented team who is committed to informing and influencing educational policy and practice in Utah and the region to increase educational equity, excellence, access, and opportunities for all children and adults in Utah. We are seeking a colleague who will invest in our collective team efforts by contributing to ongoing program evaluation and research projects, assisting with developing and administering evaluation instruments, conducting quantitative and qualitative analyses, and communicating evaluation and research findings for various audiences in a variety of formats. This is not a faculty position.
- Complete evaluation and/or research tasks for multiple projects.
- Collaborate as a team member to design studies, including methodological and theoretical design of evaluation and research projects, literature reviews, data collection plans, analysis plans, and reporting/communication plans.
- Develop evaluation instruments (e.g., survey instruments, observation protocols, focus group protocols, and interview protocols).
- Conduct observations, surveys, focus groups, and interviews by telephone or in person.
- Manage project data, including both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Report results in user-friendly, accessible formats that meet clients’ needs, including creating presentations, written-reports, and data visualizations of evaluation and research results.
- Write research and evaluation reports, briefs, white papers, and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Assist with grant writing efforts.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field of study with applicable skills.
• 2 or more years’ experience conducting program evaluations.
• Demonstrated proficiency with statistical software (e.g., R,SPSS, or Stata) and quantitative data analysis e.g., (means comparisons,HLM,SEM) or demonstrated proficiency with qualitative methods and use of analysis software (e.g., HyperRESEARCH)
• Demonstrated experience in developing data collection instruments, such as surveys, observation protocols, and interview protocols, including use of online survey management platforms (e.g., Qualtrics).
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated skills in writing for multiple audiences including policymakers and practitioners.
• Demonstrated knowledge of K12 or higher education practice, structure, and policies.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain high quality standards.
• Demonstrated initiative in learning and refining one’s skills and expertise.
- Three or more years working within K12 and/or higher education, or comparable evaluation environment, with increasing responsibilities, including data preparation, analysis, and reporting.
- Data visualization software expertise (e.g., Tableau).
- Master’s degree in education, sociology, psychology, or related field.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with priorURSservice, may elect to enroll inURSif they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.