University of Utah Entrepreneurial Project Manager in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 10/04/2019
Requisition Number PRN22134B
Job Title Sr. Manager, Research
Working Title Entrepreneurial Project Manager
Job Grade G
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00065 - Elect & Computer Engineering
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 74350 to 101650
Open Until Filled Yes
The Utah Smart Energy Laboratory (U-Smart) at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Utah has an immediate opening for an Entrepreneurial Project Manager position to work with the laboratory director on managing multiple federally funded projects.
The position responsibilities are as follows:
1. Coordinate procedural matters to ensure the successful and timely operation of research projects at U-Smart
2. Prepare presentations and frequent (quarterly, annually, etc) project reports and performs evaluation of project effectiveness.
3. Organize lean canvas to further align research projects with market needs and develop commercialization plan for projects.
4. Organize seminars, workshops, luncheons and other meetings for the purpose of outreach and commercialization.
5. Maintain or oversee the maintenance of project records, lists or files.
6. Plan and implement procedural changes/modifications for the project
7. Monitor expenditures to ensure compliance within project budget and schedule
8. Take meeting minutes and action items during meetings and performs basic follow-up with project participants, and monitor their timely progress on actions
9. Facilitate the purchase of necessary equipment and ongoing maintenance requirements
10. Assist in the preparation of grant proposals, research materials, and outreach publications
11. Act as resource person and coordinator for explaining and complying with applicable Federal, State, and University Policies and Procedures.
12. Working with internal and collaborative agencies on the administration and communications of intellectual property
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related area of assignment or equivalency and 6 years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of assigned department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department. Completion of provided supervisory training within one year of employment may be required.
Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated experience of proposing, managing, and participating in large multi-institution research and development projects, understanding of reporting needs of federally-funded projects, as well as successful experience in stakeholder engagement and developing business plans for technology commercialization. Candidates with a Master or PhD degree in a related engineering or management are preferred.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
Please describe your experience related to the job responsibilities in your cover letter.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.