University of Utah Early Childhood Classroom Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/10/2019
Requisition Number PRN09426N
Job Title Classroom Assistant
Working Title Early Childhood Classroom Assistant
Job Grade A
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
M-F, some nights and weekends, schedule varies
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00291 - Child Care & Family Resources
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment
Pay Rate Range $10.00
The Center for Child Care and Family Resources performs a vital role at the University of Utah, by providing information and support to for students, faculty, staff and early childhood practitioners. The Center and the UKids – Child Care Programs is experiencing unprecedented growth and development. Come join our team!
For this position, previous child care experience and/or education in Early Childhood is preferred. Candidate must demonstrate an interest in learning about child development and guidance. Demonstrated human relation and effective human relations skills are also required.
1. Supervise and monitor the safety of children in their care.
2. Develop weekly projects, provide appropriate activities.
3. Communicate effectively with professionals, parents and children.
4. Extinguishes, or lessens inappropriate behavior and redirects children to appropriate actions by applying Positive Child Guidance techniques to help children learn to manage their own behavior in a Positive manner. Models correct techniques for teaching assistants.
6. Teaches and leads children in music and movement to help them develop memory, verbal skills and a love for music.
7. Assists children with physical necessities, toileting, medical emergencies, etc. to give proper care and, where appropriate, facilitate development.
8. Keep accurate records of client’s program usage.
9. Maintains a healthy and safe environment for children by sanitizing materials daily, and operating within State Licensing Guidelines.
10. Promotes leadership skills within a classroom team.
11. Demonstrate the ability to work independently, but show a willingness to take direction from the supervisor
12. Must be warm, energetic and enjoy working with young children (6 wks to 8 years of age)
This is an entry-level position. Training will be provided. Must demonstrate an interest in learning about child development and guidance; a willingness to take direction from the assigned teacher; willing to obtain a food handlers permit, TB test, Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) background check, first aid training are required. Demonstrated human relation and effective human relations skills are also required.
Department Specific Qualifications
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Exhibits physical stamina necessary for daily interaction with young children
• Must be able to lift small children (10-50 lbs.)
• Must be able to carry small children in arms for short distances
• Must meet physical characteristics (with or without the use of aids): including fine motor skills
o Sufficient vision to read printed material
o Sufficient hearing to hear normal and telephone conversation
o Ability to speak in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversation
• Must be able to move about on hands and knees and sit on the floor with children
• Must demonstrate effective communication with professionals, parents and children
• Must demonstrate an ability to work independently but show a willingness to take direction from the supervisor
• Must be warm, energetic and enjoy working with young children (6 weeks to 5 years)
• Must have an interest in learning about child development and guidance
• Must pass a Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) background check
• Must be willing to obtain a food handlers permit and first aid training
• Demonstrated skills in multi-age programming for children and families
• Demonstrated skills in staff orientation, training and evaluation
• Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office and management software
Special Instructions Summary
When you apply for this position, your information is made available to all three U Kids child care centers on the University of Utah campus. You may receive inquiries from more than one child care facility.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “email@example.com” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.