University of Utah Director, Engineering in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/14/2019
Requisition Number PRN19640B
Job Title Director, Engineering
Working Title Director, Engineering
Job Grade H
FLSA Code Executive
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01504 - Center For Medical Innovations
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 75900 to 100000
Open Until Filled Yes
Fueled by a collaborative effort between University of Utah Health, The David Eccles School of Business, The College of Engineering, and The Technology Venture Development Program, the Center for Medical Innovation combines formal education programs, faculty and student project development, and support and facilitation of device development and commercialization. The center creates a one-stop-shop environment that assists both the novice and experienced innovator through ideation, concept generation, intellectual property, market analysis, prototyping and testing, business plan development, and commercialization.
Directs and oversees operations and strategic planning of engineering functions, including engineering projects, equipment activities, and estimating initiatives. Supports the University of Utah’s goals and mission. Acts as a catalyst between departments, faculty, staff, students, and external entities to ensure continuity and quality of service.
1. Directs the development and implementation of engineering objectives that are consistent with the University of Utah’s goals and objectives.
2. Insures all engineering projects, initiatives and processes are in conformance with the University’s established policies and objectives.
3. May plan and develop procedures for designing, and development and implantation of equipment.
4. May perform estimating and have final approval over all engineering bids and proposals.
5. Provides strategic direction by setting short and long-term goals, estimating budgetary requirements for staff, space and equipment planning, and implementing special projects and policies.
6. Oversees all aspects of human resource management including recruitment and retention of assigned staff.
7. Forecasts staffing, capital and operating budget needs in evaluating and reporting on market sensitivity, financial analysis, space utilization review, staff performance evaluation, etc.
8. Ensures customer satisfaction by analyzing complaints, concerns and suggestions and providing appropriate follow-through.
9. Oversees the analysis and determination of appropriate staff mix to support customer needs.
10. Ensures competency of management/supervisory staff through the development and/or presentation of educational programs and through on-going staff performance evaluation.
11. Markets and promotes new and existing programs and services to internal and external customers.
12. Participates in university-wide committees to establish customer service and administrative plans and policies.
13. Facilitates cooperative and collaborative community and institutional relationships.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related area, or equivalency; eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communications skills required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Masters in Biomedical Engineering or related field preferred
Experience withISO-13485 orISO-9001 preferred
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with priorURSservice, may elect to enroll inURSif they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.