University of Utah Digital Learning and Curriculum Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 11/06/2018
Requisition Number PRN08685N
Job Title Instructional Technologist / Curriculum Specialist
Working Title Digital Learning and Curriculum Specialist
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
M-F, flexible except for scheduled team meetings
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00018 - Utah Museum of Natl Hist Oper
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $20 - $25/hour
At the Natural History Museum of Utah we place a strong emphasis on providing an exceptional experience to every guest who visits the museum or participates in any of our programs. All staff members, at every level and in all departments, are a critical part of providing this level of experience. Candidates selected for employment withNHMUwill receive training and be expected to consistently contribute to creating an exceptional and memorable experience at every opportunity.
The Digital Learning and Curriculum Specialist develops and enhances digital curriculum, materials, and web-based resources for teaching and learning for use by teachers and their K-12 students in support of the Museum’s Advancing Critical Thinking (ACT) initiative. Included in this initiative is the Museum’s premier digital education program: Research Quest (RQ) and the Museum’s complementary,NSF-fundedEPICProject: Engaging Practices for Inquiry with Collections in Bioscience (EPIC). Collaborates with and provides assistance toACTDirector and project teams. Edits, designs, and produces curriculum, digital tools, and instructional technology with support from the project teams and partners.
- Collaborates withACTDirector and RQ andEPICproject teams and project partners to develop and enhance curriculum and materials for both projects.
- Collaborates with scientific staff atNHMUto inform both RQ andEPICprojects, revise and enhance reference materials and prepare files for digital publication.
- Develops, prototypes, tests, revises and implements teacher instructional guides, student notebooks, and online content (video, text, and interactives).
- Edits and revises existing student and teacher materials, including media, and digital tools.
- Assists with digitally-based design and delivery techniques, media and web-based materials and supports digitization of materials for RQ andEPICprojects’ online portal; collaborates with technology partner on User Experience and digital platform design.
- Supports recruitment and tracking of teacher and student participation in RQ andEPICprojects across Utah; collaborates with education partners to inform product development.
- Researches new technologies, innovations, and production practices and evaluates the potential value to the organization.
- Informs and maintains project management protocols for materials development and production.
- Creates cooperative working relationships with RQ andEPICteam members, Museum departments, partners and stakeholders, schools, Utah State Board of Education, and other persons or entities involved in the development RQ andEPICprojects and its products.
- Develops and implements evaluation techniques, in partnership with RQ andEPICLearning Research leads, to measure appropriateness and effectiveness of program content, materials, teaching activities, and technologies.
- Coordinates with other members of the project team and assists when necessary.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Technology or related field, or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). 2-4 years experience in instructional technology, preferably in an online education environment required. Knowledge of learning theory with the ability to apply the theory into practice; excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills; familiarity with a variety of software, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, Microsoft Office, andDVDAuthoring tools; strong editing skills; ability to work both individually and in a team setting.
Master’s degree in a related field may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.