University of Utah Data Scientist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 10/10/2018
Requisition Number PRN18608B
Job Title Data Scientist
Job Grade H
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Generally M-F, 8am-5pm. Position is located in Salt Lake City; applicants must be willing to work in Salt Lake City, not remotely. In-person communications and teamwork are critical for this position.
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 01323 - Utah Education Policy Center
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range commensurate with experience
Open Until Filled Yes
Apply your technology skills to making an impact on today’s critical education issues as a Lead Data Scientist for the Utah Education Policy Center (UEPC). Help us provide timely, high-quality, data-driven analyses by creating and managing the data infrastructure, processes, automation, and tools that help theUEPCaccelerate and scale our capabilities and put real information in the hands of local, state, and national leaders and policy makers.
The ideal candidate will:
- Posses a proven track record in data wrangling, reporting/visualization development, and analytics
- Posses excellent organizational and communication skills
- Design, develop, analyze, test, and implement software and application systems to support the data collection, analysis, reporting, visualization, and delivery that are core to UEPC’s mission.
- Partner withUEPCteam members to develop data designs for surveys and data strategy forUEPCsystems to streamline processing and maximize utility of collected data.
- DeliverETL, analytics, reporting, and visualization capabilities and content to supportUEPCprojects.
- Work withUEPCleadership and technical resources to create and maintain aUEPCdata and analytics strategy that supports current and anticipates future needs.
- Write and maintain complete documentation of our technology systems including documentation for users and supporting technical content in Request for Proposal (RFP) responses.
- Research, design, and develop applications for statistical analysis, data visualization, and automated report generation.
- Deliver high-quality projects on time with optimal design architecture, coding, unit tests, and documentation.
- SupportUEPCteam members and ensure established goals and deadlines are met.
- Perform basic and advanced programming functions under minimal supervision.
- Assist in analyzing and revising existing programs as needed.
- Develop standalone and web services based capabilities using Java and Spring framework.
- Work with MySQL database, including design of related databases. Using JavaJDBCandJPAfor data management is preferred.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments.
Required Skills & Experience
- Strong experience developing analytics and reporting for structure and unstructured data sets.
- Experience creating complex, integrated data sets to support business analytic and reporting requirements.
- Strong knowledge ofSQLand designing, managing, and querying relational databases is required; experience with NoSQL databases such as Postgres, Cassandra.
- Background in statistical methods and demonstrated ability to apply those methods to design and execution of real-world projects
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices to write high-quality code.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, including to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, study teams, and project managers.
- Excel at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages for high efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Experience creating robust practices and processes to manage data, analytics, and reporting code (DataOps)
- BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Technology, or other related scientific/engineering field.
- A proven track record in data wrangling, reporting/visualization development, and analytics.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motions (such as typing), walking, standing.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s Degree and 6-8 years of related experience in the field or related area is required.
This position has no responsibility for providing care to patients.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- MS or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Technology, or other related scientific/engineering field.
- Experience developing models with machine learning libraries (e.g. Scikit-Learn, NumPy, SciPy) and tools (e.g. TensorFlow, Databricks AzureML).
- Working knowledge of Big Data and distributed computing technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Kubernetes.
- Experience designing, implementing, and securing software and data assets in a Public Cloud (e.g.AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) environment.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
A cover letter is required to apply to this position. Please use it as an opportunity to showcase your written communication skills by telling us things that your resume does not. Including information about how you might approach this position and its responsibilities could be helpful.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.