University of Utah Custodian in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/22/2018
Requisition Number PRN08103N
Job Title Custodian
Working Title Custodian
Job Grade A
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00307 - Housing & Residential Educ
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $11.20
Performs various cleaning tasks to provide all staff, visitors and patients a safe and clean environment by maintaining standards of cleanliness, sanitation and freedom from hazards and infections.
1. Sweeps, cleans, mops, scrubs and dusts floors.
2. Cleans toilets, basins, showers, bathtubs, and scrubs walls; dusts, cleans and vacuums furniture, fixtures doors and related furnishings by using appropriate cleaning supplies.
3. Operates and maintains electric floor machines, snow blowers, industrial vacuums, carpet shampooing equipment and upholstery shampooing equipment.
4. Cleans, refinishes and maintains a variety of floor coverings.
5. Labels and removes infectious waste bags and containers.
6. Transports custodial supplies and equipment to and from storage and work areas.
7. Replaces sharp containers, transports trash and refuse, removes empty boxes and organizes closets.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Seldom: Hazards ( includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, or exposure to chemicals).
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking, walking.
Often: Bending, reaching overhead, twisting.
Seldom: Lifting – up to 50 pounds, kneeling, squatting.
This is an entry-level position. Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills are required. Six months of related experience is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Special Instructions Summary
Priority review date: June 1, 2018
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.