University of Utah Construction Project Manager in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/11/2018
Requisition Number PRN17185B
Job Title Construction Project Manager
Working Title Construction Project Manager
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 01135 - Facility Mgmt Business Svc
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range TBD
Open Until Filled Yes
Provides leadership to project teams in developing, monitoring, balancing and reporting on project schedules, budgets, scope, quality control and safety. Provides managerial oversight for design and construction of large, complex hospital/ healthcare projects and other projects as assigned. Responsible for the overall direction, administration, completion and financial outcome of multiple projects concurrently with a special emphasis on construction administration. Monitors and oversees the activities of design professionals, contractors and vendors to confirm contractual requirements are attained. Consults, coordinates and communicates with customers, campus and community groups, facilities management leadership, facility operations, university administration, and other stakeholders regarding project status and impacts. Prepares project recommendations and requests for project approvals. Ensures that projects conform to University and State standards, local and national building codes, and departmental procedural policies and requirements.
1. As a Representative of the University manages the risk associated with schedule, budget, quality
2. Manages and coordinates the design, and construction of facilities projects
3. Is the liaison between customers, departments, agencies, other organizations, professional service providers, and contractors and ensures collaboration and transparency by all parties
4. Coordinates with and/or supervises professional services consultants in the performance of contracted responsibilities
5. Instructs, guides, and counsels clients regarding the processes of project development, procurement of services, and all other aspects of project implementation
6. Assures that clients’ needs are addressed and plans are accomplished within the constraints of policies, procedures and business practices of the University and the State of Utah
7. Manages contract change control procedures. Reviews and approves change proposals.
8. Defines project scope requirements and parameters, oversees compliance with requirements
9. Negotiates contracts and proposals on behalf of the customer and the University
10. Monitors and manages project budgets and schedules to assure completion of critical tasks needed to meet client-timing and budget objectives
11. Approves pay requests for consultants, vendors, and contractors for completed work
12. Compiles information for submission to the Board of Trustees,DFCM, and the State Building Board for review, approval, and funding
13. Presents project information to various boards and committees to attain needed decisions and/or gain necessary project approvals
14. Assists with other department needs and improvement efforts as requested
Bachelors degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, a related field, or equivalency;AND5-7 years of related experience; Familiarity with State and national building codes and experience working on capital development project, and; Demonstrated human relation and effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
Current licensure with the State of Utah as an Architect or Engineer is preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, an engineering discipline or a related field, or equivalency;AND5-7 years of institutional related experience in design and construction, and 5-7 years of experience with large, complex healthcare projects, including Hospital design and construction;
Familiarity with Utah state and national building codes and inspection practices and protocols
Direct experience solving complex design and construction issues in a collaborative team environment in both the office and the field
Verifiable experience with construction management activities including budget and schedule management, contract administration, document coordination, shop drawing andRFIreviews, submittals, change order management
Command of the principles and vocabulary of the architecture, engineering and construction industry.
Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal relationship literacy
Expertise in understanding, interpreting and discussing Primavera P6 schedules
Mastery of office suite software such as Microsoft Project, Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
Advanced understanding of cost management as it pertains to estimates and budgets.
Experience as an Owner’s Representative
Experience and/or understanding ofBIMplanning and integration
Experience and/or understanding of Lean construction principles and practices
Ability to interpret and understand state contracts and delivery methods related to design and construction
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.