University of Utah Community Health Worker in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/14/2020
Requisition Number PRN23218B
Job Title PS Community Health Worker
Working Title Community Health Worker
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 00235 - Infectious Disease
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.02 to 21.63
Open Until Filled Yes
Provides services, education, and outreach to vulnerable populations. This is an opportunity to contribute to the wellness of local communities.
This position will work closely with the Ryan White Part B Program.
Providing support and assists to the insurance, benefits and eligibility needs of the clinic as well as determining eligibility needs associated with the Ryan White Program. Working in an interdisciplinary team including medical outreach case management, medical providers and supportive staff to provide the best care possible to clinic patients. Other administrative tasks will be assigned as needed.
1. Meets directly with patients in a clinical setting to assist in insurance and program enrollment, Ryan White and other insurance coverage questions, verifies benefits, assess and completes Ryan White applications and re-certifications.
2. Assures above paperwork is complete and free of errors as well as follows all program policy and procedure.
3. Assists in coordinating, reviewing, scanning, sending, archiving, organizing, documenting and recording bi-yearly re-certifications for Ryan White clients.
4. Assists in maintaining a relationship and communication with outside entities such as insurance companies, UAF , and the Utah Department of Health ( UDOH ).
5. Assists in coordination of reviewing applications for dental services in conjunction with UDOH .
6. Assists in maintaining data in spreadsheets to document patient enrollment progress in Ryan White, insurance, and re-certification in a detail oriented manor.
7. Assists in maintaining up to date information in patients’ charts for the use of providers and case managers to quickly assess patient needs.
8. Calls insurance companies to obtain benefit and pharmacy details for patient and provider use.
9. Assists in complex problem solving; finding the best insurance option for each patient’s needs depending on their situation and healthcare needs (Marketplace enrollment vs direct enrollment vs employer coverage vs COBRA vs Ryan White enrollment).
10. Documents in patient charts each patient interaction in a professional and timely manner.
11. May track and report on current trends to determine future program needs.
12. May provide program specific training.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Incumbents in this position are expected to be familiar with the department’s policies and procedures and have working knowledge of University and department organizations and procedures in order to answer and assist staff and visitors.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
High School diploma, or equivalent. Demonstrated relationship-building and effective communication skills.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Care is appropriate to the population served.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Prior work or experience with the marketplace / ACA .
1) Spanish Speaking
2) Understanding of Medical Insurance/terminology
3) strong sense of organization
4) prior experience with Epic
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.