University of Utah BRIDGE/JUMP START MENTORS – SUMMER 2019 in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/04/2019
Requisition Number PRN09000N
Job Title Staff Specialist
Working Title BRIDGE/JUMP START MENTORS – SUMMER 2019
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Staff Training is REQUIRED June 17 – June 21
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00292 - TRiO
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $400/week (approximate) plus room and board for program duration; training days paid.
Job availability dependent on grant funds.
Bridge & Jump Start is a program to assist low-income youth to prepare for college. Bridge Mentors will be working with the high school graduates who are 1st-generation, low-income, or students with disabilities. Participants reside in the University residence halls and will be enrolled in classes up to 9 college credits. Supervised recreation, peer advising, community service, and career exploration are also part of the summer experience.
• Live in the University Residence Halls with first-semester college freshmen participating in the Upward Bound Bridge and Jumpstart programs.
• Provide supervision, individual and group tutoring, mentoring, and peer advising.
• Assist instructors with academic program.
• Plan and supervise community service and social, cultural, and recreational activities.
• Supervise study halls.
• Must be at least 20 years of age.
• Must have completed a minimum of two years of college, achieved junior status, and be in good academic standing (at least 2.0 cumulativeGPA) at the institution last attended.
• Must be a responsible individual with good interpersonal skills who enjoys working with adolescents from diverse economic, social, and cultural backgrounds.
• Must be available to attend required training prior to the beginning of the program.
• Prior experience in tutoring and/or peer counseling preferred.
• Driver’s license and good driving record required.
• Taking University coursework during the summer program is strongly discouraged and requires prior approval of Project Director.
• Persons who have succeeded in overcoming economic and/or social barriers similar to those confronting the target population are encouraged to apply.
• Criminal background check required.
Special Instructions Summary
Interviews by appointment beginning in March.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “email@example.com” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.