University of Utah Health Blood Gas Technician in SALT LAKE CITY, Utah
As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position is responsible for collecting and assisting with analysis of arterial blood samples using electronic analytical equipment. The incumbent provides assistance in determining patient’s acid base and ventilatory status and performs minor equipment maintenance.
Collects blood samples using direct arterial entry, arterial lines and capillary finger and heel sticks.
Assists with the analysis of blood gas parameters using electronic analytical equipment to determine the results.
Enters blood gas parameters into the computer and forwards test results to requesting unit.
Performs oximetry readings using a Pulse Oximeter to non-invasively measure oxygen saturation.
Assists in the operation of the lab by delegating assignments and prioritizing work.
Performs and documents equipment maintenance, calibrations and quality control checks.
May perform oxygen rounds.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
Demonstrated potential ability to perform the essential functions as outlined above.
Ability to provide care to the population served.
Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patient’s status and provide care as described in the department’s policies and procedures manual.
- Two years of upper level health sciences course work or equivalency.
- Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire.
* Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
- Previous experience in blood gas procedures preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This position involves intermediate working conditions in a healthcare setting that may exert up to 50 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving patients or objects, such as medical equipment, while providing patient care. Workers in this position may be exposed to infectious diseases and may be required to function around prisoners or behavioral health patients.
Carrying, Climbing, Color Determination, Lifting, Listening, Manual Dexterity, Pulling and/or Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Stooping and Crouching, Walking
Requisition Number 31394
Employment Type Part-Time
Work Schedule Variable
Location Name University of Utah Hospital
Patient Care? Yes
City SALT LAKE CITY
Department UUH ANC 13F PULMONARY LAB
Category Patient Care Support / Technicians
The University of Utah Health Care is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The University of Utah Health Care is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.