University of Utah Athletics Bilingual English/Chinese Interpreter in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/26/2019
Requisition Number PRN09253N
Job Title Program Assistant
Working Title Athletics Bilingual English/Chinese Interpreter
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 20-30
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
•Availability to work consistent hours with some flexibility.
•Must be flexible
•Requires flexibility in scheduling – hours can range depending on week’s activities
•May require some evening and weekends
•This is a part time, temporary position.
•Hours are not guaranteed but must be available to work 20-30 hours a week.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 01541 - Office for Global Engagement
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 20.00
• Provides support and will assist with guests for a specific department program.
• Fluency in Mandarin Chinese/English is required.
• During this program you will work with the Office for Global Engagement to coordinate and work with coaches of the Pac-12 China Coaches Program.
• This 3-month program brings a group of 100 Chinese university sports coaches to the University of Utah to participate in coaching training with specific programs in Athletics. Coaches will be staying at the University Guest House for the duration of the program.
Program dates are 9/17/19 – 12/16/19, with training beginning a month prior to group arrival.
• Position may require assistance with supplemental events prior to program start date.
1. Performs consecutive interpretation (from English to Chinese) of classroom lectures, instructions and interactions with the U’s coaches, campus tours, orientations, and cultural events. Must know bilingual basketball, track and field, and/or swim terminology.
2. Act as a mentor and cultural guide to assist Chinese coaches in understanding US culture.
3. Receives, greets, and directs coaches to appropriate space on and/or off campus.
4. Facilitate getting coaches to scheduled appointments and meetings.
5. Answers questions about the organization and associated activities.
6. Attend select program activities.
7. Willing to be on call during evening and night hours in case of coaches need or emergency.
Associate’s degree in a related field or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education) required. Two years of related experience, ability to use logic and reasoning to prioritize tasks, expertise using MS Office software, and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required. Database experience preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Strong demonstrable knowledge of key sport terminology required.
• Sports experience preferred.
• Professional experience interpreting for groups of people preferred.
• Software qualifications stated above not required.
Special Instructions Summary
Hours may vary according to program needs and events scheduled.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “firstname.lastname@example.org” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: “email@example.com” .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.