University of Utah Associate Director, Research Development in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/05/2021
Requisition Number PRN25622B
Job Title Associate Director, Research & Science
Working Title Associate Director, Research Development
Job Grade H
FLSA Code Executive
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40 hours
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 01214 - HCI Research Admin Dept
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 75900 to 148100
Open Until Filled Yes
Applicants: use your skills in another way—work in a collaborative, positive Research Administration environment. Be part of a team dedicated to supporting Huntsman Cancer Institute, an NCI -designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, to maximize its potential, excellence, and trajectory toward future goals.
This position will report to the Director of Research Development, Huntsman Cancer Institute ( HCI ).
This position is considered Category IIA : Not required on campus and has the ability to telework remotely for the duration of the University of Utah’s response to COVID -19. An employee hired into this role will be responsible for providing space, telephone, printing, networking and/or internet capabilities at the telecommute location and agree to the terms of the University of Utah campus and Health Academics COVID -19 Telecommuting Agreement.
• Aid teams of MD and PhD researchers in the development and management of multi-project grant proposals and other grants of institutional importance to HCI . Participate as a member of programmatic teams, acting, as needed, as: shepherd/scheduler/stage manager/coach/editor/contributor.
• Independently manage development of multi-project grant applications.
• Provide scientific writing and editorial review of grants and other narratives with the goal to produce top-quality final products that meet or exceed the guidelines and objectives of funding agencies.
• Address writing/editorial/data analysis needs of the HCI Comprehensive Cancer Center Executive Director’s office and HCI , as assigned.
• Develop and maintain an awareness of HCI strategic goals and accomplishments through participation at relevant meetings, seminars, retreats, and strategic planning events. Participate in strategic planning activities, as assigned.
• Potential for supervisory role.
Intelligent, creative, perceptive; analytical, conscientious, hardworking. Self-motivated and independent. Experience in working with teams of PhD and MD scientists in a university setting. Broad grasp of modern science techniques and approaches. Experience in preparing grant applications and scientific writing. High professional standards, strong attention to detail, organized. Spots problems and proactively works to craft solutions. Can work under a deadline, possesses coping skills. Displays integrity, patience, and discretion. Extends and receives criticism and feedback thoughtfully. Has a positive attitude; is approachable and generous. Admires and is committed to the goals of HCI .
This position has no responsibility for providing care to patients.
Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, a related area, or equivalency required; plus 6-8 years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communication skills also required. Master’s degree in Business Administration or related area preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• MD or PhD in science or related/equivalent area; five years of progressively more responsible dedicated management and/or writing/editorial experience; effective leadership, human relations, and communications skills.
• Strong understanding of scientific funding mechanisms ( NIH , Foundations) and grant application processes.
• Relevant prior experience in a University and/or NCI -designated Cancer Center setting.
• Project management experience.
• Expertise with office and writing software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, EndNote).
• Basic graphics skills (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign).
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
Responses to these questions will serve as a writing sample. Please also submit a cover letter discussing your interest in and suitability for this position.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.