University of Utah Assistant Dean, Finance and Administration in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 01/07/2019
Requisition Number PRN19311B
Job Title Assistant Dean
Working Title Assistant Dean, Finance and Administration
Job Grade 000
FLSA Code Executive
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 00274 - College of Pharmacy
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range Salary commensurate with experience
Open Until Filled No
Directs the financial operations in support of the goals and mission of the College of Pharmacy (COP). Provides administrative support to the Dean of the College of Pharmacy regarding financial and administrative matters, including preparation and administration of the budget and administrative responsibility for support services such as payroll, personnel, facilities management and purchasing.
Strategically partner with the leadership team of the College of Pharmacy to provide guidance on financial and administrative needs.
Requires an understanding of University policies and procedures related to budget management
1. Oversee and organize the College of Pharmacy budget by reviewing and approving expenditures on the various College accounts, monitoring costs, and managing the personnel salary resources of the College. The total College budget consists of state funds, grants and contracts, clinical revenue, gifts and miscellaneous other funds.
2. Work with department administration, account executives and project principal investigators to make sure the monthly Evidence of Review (EOR) is completed within thirty days of month end close.
3. Assume responsibility for planning and preparation of the College of Pharmacy’s annual budget. This includes determining state revenues and tuition differential for the appropriate fiscal year, the preparation of appropriate control documents for internal use and the completion of the budget report for submission to the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences.
4. Assure revenue procurement and expenditures are appropriate, countersigns all major expenditures, and maintains appropriate financial files.
5. Work collaboratively with Department Chair and administrative support who are responsible for departmental budgets. The Department Chair and administrative support also work in conjunction with the principal investigators to review grant and contract budgets and work closely with the Office of Sponsored Projects in processing grant applications, hiring personnel, obtaining no-cost extensions, setting up subcontracts, etc. to facilitate sound financial practices with grant budget preparation.
6. Set up new activities as needed and ensure activities are correctly assigned to appropriate account executive for monitoring and sign off.
7. Ensure correct and appropriate access to Management Reports and other University systems for College faculty and staff.
8. Prepare for and oversee, in conjunction with University of Utah Audit Staff, the annual College Procurement Card (P-Card) audit. Upon completion of audit, work with cardholders and audit staff to resolve any outstanding issues.
9. Work with Advancement Office leadership to complete ad-hoc financial statements as needed for funding requests.
10. In conjunction with Advancement Office leadership, ensure all gifts to College are allocated and expended as required by donor.
Human Resource Management
1. Work collaboratively with embedded HR Analyst and HR Business Partner to oversee all human resource functions of the College.
2. Manage payroll and time and attendance functions of the College including preparation of the bimonthly payroll reporting which includes the reporting of vacation and sick leave.
3. Communicate to HR Analyst all needed Electronic Personnel Action Form (ePAF) changes and approve as required in PeopleSoft system.
4. Responsible for the distribution, review, and processing of Electronic Quarterly Payroll Activity Reports (ePARs), using the forms as a tool to manage salary resources if appropriate.
5. Work closely with Human Resources and serve as a resource for faculty and staff concerning University policies and procedures regarding personnel and employment issues.
College Administrative and Support Services
1. Serve as a liaison between the College and other University departments and offices such as the Office of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences, Human Resources, Office of Sponsored Projects, Research Accounting, General Accounting, Campus Design, Plant Operations, Personnel, Payroll, Parking Services, Facilities Management, IT, etc.
2. Maintain effective relationships and facilitate ongoing communication within and between college and university divisions and departments.
Facility and Infrastructure management
1. Ensure completion of the annual equipment inventory and provide appropriate maintenance or replacement of furniture and equipment as needed.
2. Oversight of College of Pharmacy facilities including maintenance, space remodeling, repairs, painting, and telephones.
The University of Utah is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans preference. Reasonable accommodations provided. For additional information:http://www.regulations.utah.edu/humanResources/5-106.html.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a [strong or demonstrated] commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Position requires a minimum of master’s degree from a regionally accredited program in business or public administration or equivalent. The ideal candidate should have broad business management background including financial management of organizations/businesses, in-depth understanding of the unique aspects of academic environments, familiarity with clinical operations and billing, budgeting experience, and personnel and facilities management. Proven success in managing large complex systems and working collaboratively. Academic/health care experience and strong organizational skills are an asset.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with priorURSservice, may elect to enroll inURSif they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits fromURSare subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.