University of Utah Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 03/25/2021
Requisition Number PRN25635B
Job Title Administrative Assistant
Working Title Administrative Assistant
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40 hrs/wk
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 02145 - Faculty Academic Affairs
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 15.19 to 18.27
Open Until Filled Yes
The Administrative Assistant (AA) will be part of the office of Academic Affairs for University of Utah Health. The office supports an Assistant Vice President/Vice Dean, three Assistant Deans and Director. The AA will provide administrative and program support to office leadership and programs. The position is a pivotal point person for the office, maintaining professional office appearance, organizing and being office representative at meetings, answering phone inquiries, supporting coordinators and office programs. The incumbent may be required to prioritize tasks received from the AVP , Deans, director, and staff and determine the order of importance. The incumbent must use discretion and judgement when scheduling appointments and in screening calls. This position requires excellent organizational, time management and communication skills as well as good judgment with regard to providing a professional environment and managing tight deadlines.
Responsibilities will include planning and implementing activities for the office and coordinators of the programs, setting up meetings and maintaining calendars for the program faculty/administrators, coordinating travel, coordinating weekly/monthly seminar sessions, establishing and maintaining tracking databases, assisting with gathering and updating website content, and purchasing food and supplies as needed. This position is responsible for solving office problems by knowing and using appropriate resources. Plans and expedites their flow of work while ensuring the smooth operation of the office under the pressure of frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Desirable candidate will have demonstrated strong organizational capacity, ability to balance priorities, and ensure follow through with a diverse set of responsibilities. Candidate should have a working knowledge of Outlook, Zoom, Teams, Excel, PowerPoint, and other common office software programs.
Provides complex administrative support for department management. Coordinates and oversees the work of support staff.
This position is considered Category IIA : Not required on campus and has the ability to telework remotely for the duration of the University of Utah’s response to COVID -19. An employee hired into this role will be responsible for providing space, telephone, printing, networking and/or internet capabilities at the telecommute location and agree to the terms of the University of Utah campus and Health Academics COVID -19 Telecommuting Agreement.
• Works closely with office coordinators in order to efficiently meet all of their needs and anticipate future support.
• Maintain and coordinate meetings, calendars and phone calls. This may include development of meeting agendas, minutes and task lists.
• Takes minutes in meetings and helps to produce formal minutes for records. Assists with assuring meeting action items have follow up.
• Assists in preparing PowerPoint presentations, handouts, and related education materials for office leadership and programs.
• Implements and ensures quality of programs and support by communicating with the coordinators. This includes support for snack and meals, IT and equipment, course materials and any issues related to registration/attendance at program functions.
• Accurately represents office programs and the university. Be responsible for making decisions (in partnership with coordinators and manager) related to running programs in an effective and conscientious manner.
• Maintains accurate and detailed event records.
• Works with coordinators and manager on evaluation of events, new programs and other projects as assigned. Evaluate events and identify improvements for future events.
• Provides administrative support to office faculty by scheduling meetings, arranging travel, etc. Must be proficient with Outlook calendar system.
• Makes complex travel arrangements and completes travel reimbursements for departmental staff and visitors.
• Organizes and publicizes internal and external programs/presentations
• Maintains and updates office network drive information and organization
• Prepares correspondence, including composing program announcements, award acceptance, routine letters, and memos
• Coordinates the collection, preparation, and dissemination of program materials as specifically assigned
• Responsible for purchasing and financial transactions of the office in conjunction with the SOM Dean’s Finance unit.
• Provides back up for front desk and general office support such as greeting and directing visitors, handling incoming calls and processing mail.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Nearly continuously: office environment
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Associate degree in business or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education) and three years full-time secretarial experience required. Demonstrated human relations and effective written and verbal communication skills required. Knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices and direct supervisory experience preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Be service oriented, able to work effectively within a team environment, excellent organizational, time management and communication skills as well as handle tight deadlines.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.