University of Utah Academic Programs Senior Director in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 11/18/2020
Requisition Number PRN24780B
Job Title Director, Education
Working Title Academic Programs Senior Director
Job Grade G
FLSA Code Executive
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00173 - Continuing Ed & Comunty Engmnt
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $70,000 - $85,000
Open Until Filled Yes
Continuing Education at the University of Utah is looking for the right candidate to fill our Professional and Academic Programs Senior Director position. From childhood to retirement, Continuing Education offers a wide variety of courses for everyone. Whether you’re a student, working professional, stay-at-home parent, non-native English speaker, or just looking to learn something new, Continuing Education has something for you and your family.
The Professional and Academic Programs Senior Director oversees operations and strategic planning of education functions including (but not limited to) development of programs, courses, curriculum, and other education materials specific to academic and professional programs. Acts as a catalyst between departments, faculty, staff, students, and external entities to ensure continuity and quality of service. They support the University of Utah’s Online and Continuing Education’s goals and mission including creating a more inclusive and welcoming environment for all peoples and representative of the communities we serve
1.Directs the development and implementation of education objectives that are comprehensive, appropriate, and consistent with the University of Utah’s goals and objectives through enhancement of the Exceptional Student Experience.
2. Assists in the development and oversight of credentialing and certification programs.
3. Ensures all activities and requirements regarding education/certification programs are met.
4. Provides strategic direction by setting short and long-term goals, estimating budgetary requirements for staff, space and equipment planning, and implementing special projects and policies.
5. Manages and leads a team of staff and oversees all aspects of human resource management including recruitment and retention.
6. Forecasts staffing, capital and operating budget needs in evaluating and reporting on market sensitivity, financial analysis, space utilization review, staff performance evaluation, etc.
7. Ensures customer satisfaction by analyzing complaints, concerns and suggestions and providing appropriate follow-through.
8. Oversees the analysis and determination of appropriate staff mix to support customer needs.
9. Ensures competency of management/supervisory staff through the development and/or presentation of educational programs and through ongoing staff performance evaluation.
10. Markets and promotes new and existing programs and services to internal and external customers.
11. Participates in university-wide committees to establish customer service and administrative plans and policies.
12. Facilitates cooperative and collaborative community and institutional relationships.
13. Problem Solving. Incumbents in this position have the authority to manage assigned units and designated programs and services. They are responsible for ensuring that diverse customer and community issues affecting customer service are resolved. They direct the planning and administration of the unit’s budget and makes spending decisions within budget guidelines. They oversee program development for assigned units and ensures that policies and procedures are followed.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or related area, or equivalency; plus five years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated program development and strategic planning skills ; required
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Master’s Degree in related field.
- Experience working with the specific needs of adult learners. Familiarity and experience in adult education, including trends and issues that affect the field in both professional and higher education.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.