University of Utah Academic Advising and Student Services Coordinator, Professional MBA in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/05/2018
Requisition Number PRN17723B
Job Title Academic Advisor
Working Title Academic Advising and Student Services Coordinator, Professional MBA
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
M-F, with some possible schedule variations including several evenings and occasional weekends required for events and class nights.
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00033 - Executive Education
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 31600 to 45000
Close Date 08/03/2018
Open Until Filled No
The ProfessionalMBAprogram at the David Eccles School of Business is seeking a talented, energetic professional as an Academic Advising and Student Services Coordinator for the ProfessionalMBAprogram to provide administrative support, oversee programming and events and maintain regular contact with students in order to keep them motivated and progressing towards graduation. This person must have strong communication and project management skills, have a high-quality service orientation, be an effective team player, and excellent organizer to handle multiple tasks.
1. Student Advising:
• Meet with ProfessionalMBAstudents to provide information and guidance on academic-related issues, such as graduation requirements and exceptions, and course planning and registration.
Foster student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals.
• Advise students on educational options based on their personal and professional interests and monitor student progress and provide feedback and motivation.
2. Student Services and Support:
• Plan and implement ProfessionalMBAevents as required, for example: orientation, networking events, snack and dinner nights, and graduation.
• Plan, implement and ensure quality of ProfessionalMBAclass evenings by communicating with and making appropriate arrangements for the faculty, as well as arranging logistics for the students. This includes IT and equipment, course materials and any issues related to student needs for class.
• Serve as a resource to ProfessionalMBAstudents to answer questions and advise on issues associated with all components of the program.
• Assist in increasing student satisfaction, student retention rates, graduation rates, and referrals.
• Work with Director on evaluation for events, new programs and other projects as assigned.
Responsible for budget tracking, reconciling bills and billing them to the appropriate account.
3. Admissions and Recruiting:
• Significant interpersonal communication with prospective students over the phone, as well as in-person and through e-mail.
• Discuss program details with prospective students through outbound and inbound phone calls.
• Meet one-on-one with candidates to discuss their specific concerns and needs. Mentor and advise candidates on an academic path that best fits their situation.
• Maintain accurate records and files throughCRMsystem (Salesforce). This includes professional and academic details about the candidate and logging all interactions, including in-person meetings, phone calls, and emails.
• Consistently follow-up and stay connected with those who have expressed interest in pursuing theirMBA.
*This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required.
Previous experience in an advising, counseling or teaching environment is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
• The ability to work independently and pay close attention to detail; developed organization skills; the ability to make independent judgments and to act on decisions; able to work on several tasks simultaneously and meet concurrent deadlines; strong interpersonal skills in working with prospective students, faculty and current students; entrepreneurial ambition to help grow and improve the ProfessionalMBAprogram.
• The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude and be organized, flexible, detail-oriented, a team player and comfortable working in a fast-paced demanding environment.
• Strong understanding of skills acquired in anMBAprogram and their relevance in the workplace.
• Demonstrated skills advising students and maintaining strong relationships.
• Strong team orientation and interpersonal effectiveness to work efficiently and creatively withMBAstudents, alumni and employers.
• Counseling experience in an academic or corporate environment preferred.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.