University of Utah UU Student - Admin/Clerical in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/11/2017
Requisition Number PRN07003N
Job Title UU Student - Admin/Clerical
Working Title Housing Ambassador
Job Grade SJ
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
- Hours not to exceed 19 per week.
- Must be able to attend bi-weekly staff meetings that will be set at the beginning of each semester.
- Must be able to participate in occasional weekend recruitment events such as tours and tabling events on weekends.
- May be asked to attend recruitment events outside of office hours.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00307 - Housing & Residential Educ
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $9.00 - 10.00
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Located in Salt Lake City, the University of Utah is a public, 4-year institution committed to providing an exceptional academic and co-curricular experience for students and the University community. The “U” is aPAC-12 institution with over 33,000 students. Heritage Commons is home to 2,800 students who live in the 2002 Winter Olympic athlete village, residing in 20 co-ed residence halls and 10 apartment buildings. In addition, Housing & Residential Education has two apartment buildings located in downtown Salt Lake City that constitute Downtown Commons. Heritage Commons constitutes 868K square feet and Downtown Commons is 26K square feet.HREis growing with a 309 bed Honors Living Learning complex (161K square feet) that opened August 2012 and additional 416 bed Entrepreneur-Innovation Living Learning complex (150K square feet) that opened August 2016. The University Housing Campus Master plan calls for continued growth and construction to meet the housing demand.
The Housing Ambassador provides customer service and support in the Housing & Residential Education office and assists the Assignments Coordinators by performing various in-office tasks and assisting students. This part-time position is responsible for inventory management, assisting in prospective student recruitment and providing friendly and informative customer service. The Housing Ambassador reports to the Assignments & Customer Service Coordinator.
As a member of theHREteam, it is expected that Housing Ambassadors uphold all of the values of the department and follow allHREand University policies and procedures. Housing & Residential Education and the University of Utah value interactions among individuals with varying traditions, cultures, identities, expressions, orientation, religious beliefs, economic backgrounds, and racial/ethnic origins. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who will share and explore this value with the team and with the residents.
- Models the highest level of customer service and works to ensure customer satisfaction by analyzing
complaints, concerns and suggestions for ways to improve student satisfaction
- Assists in the university housing move-in and move-out processes, break and holiday closing
- Collects payments from students to pay their housing bill
- Acts as an information source to students about resources available within the University
- Provides information to students and parents about the procedures withinHRE, University and Government
- Possesses extensive knowledge of on-campus housing options
- Understands the assignment and reservation process in addition to contract terminations procedures
- Works with the occupancy team to troubleshoot and provide accurate information
- Informs the Assignments and Occupancy Coordinators of possible problems and discrepancies
- Assists in the opening and closing of the housing office
Prospective Student Recruitment
- Give prospective students and their parents tours of housing facilities
- RepresentHREat recruitment events and provide housing information to interested students
- Additional recruitment opportunities that may arise
- Responsible for notifying roommates of new move-ins
- Assists with check-in and check-out processes
- Communicates with maintenance and custodial staff regarding building issues and concerns
- Responds to general housing emails and phone calls
- Maintains accurate electronic and paper records and under strict confidentiality
- Processes student agreements and paperwork in a timely manner
- Assists in day-to-day administrative tasks and projects established by the supervisor
- Must be a current University of Utah student in good standing with the University and maintain that status throughout employment
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse office setting
- Ability to maintain student information under strict confidentiality
- Organizational skills to manage workflow and establish a harmonious and productive environment
- Skill in accurately analyzing information, situations, and procedures to define problems and formulate conclusions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Skill in speaking and writing concisely and logically, using grammatically-correct language to convey information and explain policies and procedures
- Demonstrated skill to work effectively with students, parents and university officials
- Working knowledge of various software packages (including spreadsheets, word processing and email)
- Experience living on campus at the University of Utah
- Customer service experience
- Clerical experience
- Spanish speaking
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.