University of Utah Systems Administrator in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/18/2017
Requisition Number PRN14275B
Job Title Systems Administrator
Working Title Systems Administrator
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40 hours
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday to Friday; 8 am to 5 pm; additional hours may be required
VP Area President
Department 01555 - UIT INFRASTRUCTURE & OPS
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $47,600 to $90,400 DOE
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
The Systems Administrator for University Information Technology- Hardware Platform Services group will provide a primary role in the development and support of the server and storage environments at the University of Utah.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases of projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy, research & development, technical analysis and design, and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
Located in Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the flagship institution of the State of Utah’s system of higher education and a member of thePAC-12 Conference. Salt Lake City combines the amenities of a major metropolitan area of more than one million people with the friendliness and ease of living of a small, Western city. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive from campus, and opportunities to pursue activities from biking to hiking to fishing abound. Salt Lake is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera, the Utah Ballet, several professional sports teams, and a wide range of other cultural and recreational activities.
University Information Technology, the central IT service provider for campus, reports to the Chief Information Officer and is responsible for many of the University of Utah’s most critical common IT resources including the campus network; the Campus Information Services (CIS) portal; UMail, telephone, and online collaboration services; high performance and research computing; information security; teaching and learning technologies; software licensing; and a host of other systems and applications. For more information aboutUITvisit http://www.it.utah.edu.
• Design, configure, build, and document server systems and network equipment for use by the IT staff and end-users.
• Implement and maintain server environment including template creation, deployment, virtual server maintenance, virtual networking creation, resolving performance degradation, and resource management.
• Assist in monitoring, maintaining, and troubleshooting server systems, hardware including routine maintenance, application software updates, etc.
• Participate in IT Procurement process and manage inventory of server equipment components, and application software; including installing upgrades, patches, new application software, equipment, and decommissioning of obsolete equipment and application software.
• Review, create and maintain support documentation including documenting operational processes
• Troubleshoot, resolve, and escalate issues when necessary.
• Work with minimal supervision.
• Undertake other special projects as assigned by Management to improve administration of the technology infrastructure.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency with at least 2 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
· Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area with at least 2 years of experience in implementing and administering Windows/Linux based servers.
· Significant Experience with at least three (3) of the following platforms
o Windows Server
o System Configuration Management (Puppet, MicrosoftSCCM)
o Storage/SAN(Brocade, 3par,HNAS)
· Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Four to six years of experience in implementing and administering Windows/Linux based servers.
• Bachelors Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related
• Knowledge and experience in a large research university
•ITIL/Change Management Knowledge
• Networking Knowledge
• File Share Knowledge
• Active Directory Knowledge
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.