University of Utah Staff Specialist (E) in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 03/01/2016
Requisition Number PRN10625B
Job Title Staff Specialist (E)
Working Title Certified Nurse Midwife Fellow
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time?
Work Schedule Summary
variable – both day and night shift and weekend rotation
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 00987 - CON CLINICAL AFFAIRS &FAC PRAC
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 55,000 to 60,000
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. No
This position is responsible for, under the supervision of a Certified Nurse Midwife, providing care to women throughout the lifespan, which includes primary care, annual gynecological care, mental health promotion, prenatal care, and postpartum care in the outpatient setting as well as management of labor, delivery and postpartum recovery in the inpatient setting. This position provides a mentored approach for transition into practice for the new graduate or persons wanting to re-enter into full-scope midwifery practice.
Essential Functions: Under the supervision of a Certified Nurse Midwife, the incumbent:
1. Maintains outpatient clinic practice incorporating full-scope of midwifery practice with emphasis on transition towards independence and full patient load throughout the residency.
2. Management of labor and deliveries with appropriate consultation as clinically indicated.
3. Cares for and manages mother and baby in the recovery postpartum period as well as supporting transition to home. Provided knowledgeable breastfeeding support.
4. Oversight and management of obstetrical emergency cases through the University’s Obstetrical Emergency Services with appropriate collaboration as clinically indicated.
5. Reviews lab results as part of group practice with appropriate mentorship and determines follow-up care as clinically indicated.
6. Maintains medical records and patient charting with utmost concern for patient integrity and quality assurance standards related to this documentation per practice standards.
7. Complies with the ethical principles of Certified Nurse Midwives as published by the American College of Nurse Midwives, the Utah State Licensing Agencies, and with all Birthcare Healthcare policies and procedures at the University of Utah.
8. Participates in didactic seminars, mentorship program, and individual evaluations during each quarterly session.
9. Participates in didactic training forDNPstudents towards the completion of residency.
This fellowship position is designed for an 8 month duration (with a possible extension up to twelve-months). While no commitment is made for hire at the end of the fellowship period, consideration will be given based on the needs of the practice and the skills demonstrated by the individual throughout the fellowship.
This position requires the candidate to have completed an accredited nurse-midwifery preparatory program as well as successful of the Certified Midwifery Board Exams, and licensure in the State of Utah as a Certified Nurse Midwife (or if licensed out of state, licensure in Utah within 1 month of hire). The candidate should also have an active Utah nursing license by the beginning of fellowship period. This position also requires a current American Heart Association issued Basic Life Support card, or obtain within 1 month of hire.
Preferred qualifications are familiarity with the philosophy of midwifery practice; a commitment to providing supportive care with respect for human dignity and cultural diversity; commitment to the practice of evidence-based medicine and continuing education; Spanish-speaking not required but beneficial; Applicants should be able to demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Employees with prior URS service may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.