University of Utah Sr Accountant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/17/2017
Requisition Number PRN14022B
Job Title Sr Accountant
Working Title Senior Tax Accountant
Job Grade E
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday to Friday 8am-5pm depending on departmental needs.
VP Area President
Department 01110 - Tax Services
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 39300 to 50000 DOE
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
The university’s Tax Services department is currently seeking for a great candidate for a Sr. Tax Accountant.
The position maintains and reconciles ledgers and accounts according to generally accepted accounting principles. Prepares and analyzes financial information, prepares reports and financial statements based upon derived statistics and analysis performed. Meets critical payroll processing deadlines.
This position requires the ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles, federal cost accounting regulations and University policies and procedures to a variety of situations. The incumbent must be able to interpret complex policies and effectively communicate the information in an easily understood manner. The incumbent is required to provide analysis of each situation and use professional judgment in reaching a solution. The Accountant is expected to recommend changes to accounting based procedures based upon analysis performed and specialized knowledge. The accountant must meet all essential job functions and other duties as assigned.
The essential job functions of Tax Accountant in Tax Services include, but are not limited to:
1. Reconciles payroll federal taxes each pay period and state taxes each month. Remits the tax payments to theIRSand other government authorities on a timely basis.
2. Prepares and files federal tax returns on a quarterly basis. Prepares and files Utah, Idaho, and any other required state tax returns. Must meet critical reporting deadlines to prevent penalties and assessments.
3. Reconciles and maintains Federal, Utah, Idaho, and any other state general ledgers each month.
4. Balances taxes and adjusts employee tax records each pay period due to old year void checks, overpayments, tuition reduction benefits and etc. ; processes gift certificates, moving expenses, student and non-resident alienFICAtax refunds and miscellaneous. Adjustments must be made by short payroll processing deadline.
5. Enters forms W-4. Assists processing the W-4 re-certification annually duringIRSprescribed deadlines.
6. Answers W-4, W-2,FICAtax and all payroll tax questions by phone, email or in person, whenever the services are requested.
7. Creates W-2 corrections whenever errors are located or upon request from departments and employees. Files the amended employer federal, UT, ID, and any other state tax returns by deadline.
8. Reprints the W-2 forms. The current tax year W-2 forms are required to be reprinted on the next business day. All of the old year W-2 reprint requests need to be processed within one week.
9. Immediately issues temporary working numbers upon request from the departments so that new employees can be added to the payroll system. Updates the temporary working number spreadsheet timely.
10. Performs annual employee social security number verification process by Social Security Administration deadlines. Answer social security number discrepancy questions from the departments and employees.
11. Notifies departments when employees have invalid social security numbers or have no social security numbers in the payroll system, by payroll processing deadline.
12. Timely verifies and maintains the duplicate employee ID information.
13. Provides excellent customer service.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field or equivalency, plus two years professional accounting experience. Also required are a thorough knowledge of established accounting principles and practices, knowledge of accounting software, advanced spreadsheet skills, the ability to write queries and macros and demonstrated analytical, problem solving, human relations and effective communication skills.
Certifications as a Certified Public Accountant may be preferred for certain positions.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.