University of Utah Research Scientist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/20/2017
Requisition Number PRN14040B
Job Title Research Scientist
Working Title Research Scientist
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
M-F with occasional weekends as required by lab
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 01337 - Molecular Medicine Program
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 47600 to 90400
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Develops research projects and is responsible for scientific design, conduct and interpretation, presenting results and publishing manuscripts.
1. Develops scientific research projects and acts as a principal investigator or co-principal investigator.
2. Researches and stays current with project related scientific literature.
3. Sets up new methods or assays to accomplish scientific objectives.
4. Identifies and implements creative solutions to overcome problems.
5. Organizes, interprets data and derives study conclusions.
6. Manages and trains research staff to achieve research goals.
7. Collaborates with internal and external investigators on multiple research projects ensuring scientific significance and feasibility.
8. Summarizes results of clinical studies in the form of scientific abstracts and manuscripts.
9. Serves as a resource to provide clinical and scientific information needed for various initiatives.
10. Contributes to teaching activities by preparing and presenting educational seminars.
11. Assists with grant preparation by researching background, significance and planning statistics.
12. Attends national conferences and presents results of clinical studies.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or other scientific discipline in a related field plus four years of experience or equivalency required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
We are looking for someone conscientious, motivated and enthusiastic.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.