University of Utah Research Associate in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/11/2017
Requisition Number PRN14766B
Job Title Research Associate
Working Title Research Associate
Job Grade A00
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 00952 - Division of Epidemiology
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 70,000 - 115,000
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
The Division of Epidemiology within the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Utah seeks a highly motivated research informaticist with a strong publication record to join its staff. This individual will work both independently and assist researchers in the field of Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), and Informational Retrieval (IR) to analyze, extract, and interpret healthcare data from multiple environments across the nation and evaluate or create new data analysis and data management tools. Individual must be a passionate and dedicated scientist
• Design and validateNLPalgorithms for efficient information extraction, information retrieval, and text mining.
• Create, maintain, and document computer software for data analysis and management.
• Participate in grant application process and publication of the study outcomes.
• Implement, design, and assist investigators with the design of research studies.
• Collaborate with study and analytics team to test hypothesis, answer key questions, summarize data, and create reports.
• May lead and direct the work of others.
• MS with a focus in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, or Computer Science.
• Demonstrated publication record and effective communication skills.
• At least 2 years of application development (Java programming experience).
• Working knowledge of statistical tools (Weka,SVM,SAS, Stata, R).
• Experience applying machine learning and Big-Data technologies:UIMA, Hadoop, Mahout.
• Strong understanding of and appreciation forNLPresearch.
• ClinicalNLPexperience, preferably including experience withUIMA, MetaMap, and cTAKES.
• Demonstrated ability to create lexical semantic resources forNLP-based applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work individually and in a team.
• Highly motivated and self-directed.
• Strong planning and time management skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for employment visa status.
• This position has no responsibility for providing care to patients.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.