University of Utah Post Doc Res Assoc in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/17/2017
Requisition Number PRN14254B
Job Title Post Doc Res Assoc
Working Title Data Journalist
Job Grade A00
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 00728 - U of U Medical Group
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $50,000 to $60,000 DOE
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. No
We’re looking for someone with a wide range of interests, who’s obsessed with writing, health care news and trending topics, and who lives for finding cool data. Data Journalist reports directly to the Team Lead, Analytics Innovation for the University of Utah Health MedicalGroup.
Leads the writing of all white papers, articles for scholarly publications, grant applications, executive summaries, and marketing copy for University of Utah Health Medical Group analytics team. Scrubs medical literature and on-line resources to identify the greatest opportunities for publication, presentation and/or general public exposure of our analytics work to the greater health care community. Strong familiarity with the data science life cycle and teaches these principles to others. Interprets data to create narrative and visualizations that describe the outcomes of team projects and investigations to a variety of audiences.
Leverages our academic partnership with Population Health Sciences (PHS) to instill study design rigor to our analytics innovation work and to ensure publication success. Develops strong familiarity with peer review journals and health care publications and uses this knowledge to help drive study design and to identify opportunities for contribution to the literature. Collaborates withPHSon established Patient Reporting Outcome (PRO) projects and are encouraged to conduct independent research with an emphasis on study inception, manuscript writing, and applying for grants in this space.PHScollaborative support will also enable this position to build their own research programs.
- Conduct literature reviews to determine current data trends and/or ranges.
- Conduct on-demand clinical data analyses for use in manuscripts, internal presentations, business planning activities, andconference presentations.
- Execute a personal strategy to maintain fluency and awareness of the latest healthcare and health analytics advancements.
- Ask appropriate questions prior to delving into the data. Use knowledge of biostatistical analysis to interpret, explain, and critique results from a peer-reviewed study.
- Maintains a structured process to describe the aggregate trends, features, and composition of a data set.
- Participate in development and review of investigational protocols and statistical analysis plans for study designs.
- Ensures the privacy and protection of data and its responsible use in decisions.
- Collaborate and engage with subject matter experts and knowledge workers to support business projects
- Articulate how decisions during theEHRbuild process impacts the ability to collect and retrieve business data.
- Speak fluently with healthcare vocabulary, healthcare policy issues, common abbreviations, and organizational mission.
- Communicate findings both visually and in plain language as to make them useful to non-analytic stakeholders.
- Use storyboards to mockup and plan design ideas and sequences of events.
- Articulate the value of the analytic team’s mission and processes to the enterprise health organization using a variety of media channels including blogs, website copy, white papers, newsletter articles, and brochures.
- Create communication artifacts to help team members navigate change and understand new expectations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty, or equivalency; plus 6-8 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- PharmD or PhD in health or life science field; 1+ years of experience.
- Strong medical writing and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Expert user of reference library software tools, such as EndNote, and standard office productivity tools, such as MS Office
- Familiarity with statistical analysis tools
- Familiarity withIRBprocesses
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.