University of Utah Physician Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 08/27/2015
Requisition Number PRN09375B
Job Title Physician Assistant
Working Title Physician Assistant
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Care Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time?
Work Schedule Summary
To Be Determined.
Department 00235 - Infectious Disease
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $77,357.65 - $123,772.24 DOE
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Practice of medicine (subspecialty Infectious Diseases) under the supervision of attending physicians when needed, primarily in outpatient clinical setting.
Clinic visits may involve new General Infectious Diseases (non-HIV) consultations and/or hospitalization follow ups.
Physician Assistant is expected to take a medical history, perform physical exam, order appropriate diagnostic testing, treat as indicated, and monitor for side effects.
Previous Infectious Diseases experience desired, but not required.
Strong communication skills required.
1. Takes complex medical histories on patients referred for consultation by academic and community physicians in both inpatient and outpatient clinic setting.
2. Performs physical examinations.
3. Orders laboratory tests, x-rays, special imaging studies and other diagnostic procedures.
4. Monitors the level of and adjusts antibiotics..
5. Reaches tentative diagnosis of medical, surgical and other conditions.
6. Develops treatment plans in conjunction with attending physician to provide optimal patient medical management.
7. Manages outpatient antibiotic therapy and other infectious disease problems under the supervision of attending physicians.
8. Participates in continuing medical education to include specialty and sub-specialty meetings, clubs, boards and conferences.
9. Assists in the collection of data for research projects.
10. Orders consultations and interacts with members of other specialty medical teams.
11. Participates in special projects and committee functions.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Current licensure to practice as a Physician’s Assistant from the State of Utah. Certification inACLS/BLS/NRP/ATLSmay be required by your department or by privileging criteria. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills are also required.
To obtain licensure requires graduation from anARC-PA approved/accredited Physician Assistant program. Specialty experience preferred on a position by position basis.UHPPM1-56 requires that newly hired non-physician providers apply for credentialing and privileging at the time of hire.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the diagnosis and management of infectious diseases and the ability to assess data regarding the patient’s status. The ability to work with other care providers on the Infectious Disease service in a cooperative and flexible manner and to communicate with consulting physicians is very important.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Employees with prior URS service may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.