University of Utah Outpatient Services Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/17/2017
Requisition Number PRN14236B
Job Title Outpatient Services Specialist
Working Title Outpatient Services Specialist
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm.
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 01478 - SOD - EDUCATION
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.84-20.55/hour
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Functions as an assistant to the School of Dentistry Clinic Manager, faculty, and student dentist by performing and overseeing both patient scheduling and clinic-related duties.
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Sciences exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. The Health Sciences Center seeks faculty and staff who are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission.
1. Functions as primary liaison between student dentists and their patients including: scheduling and confirming appointments; responding to patient calls by evaluating the nature and urgency and returning calls for the student and faculty dentists; and coordinating multiple appointments with other dentists and/or services.
2. Assists with the preparation and smooth operation of the clinic by greeting, checking in, and registering clinic patients; answering patient questions regarding policies, co- payments, fee schedules, etc.; and obtaining dental insurance information and entering it into Epic.
3. Maintains accurate and orderly patient medical records ensuring all paperwork is scanned into Dentrix.
4. Completes initial patient billing process such as reconciling procedure codes in Dentrix and ensuring charges are entered into Epic.
5. Performs daily maintenance tasks such as filing, scanning, copying, answering phones, and appointment request forms.
6. Assists in the checking-out of patients, collecting payments, and verifying dental insurance information.
7. Assists in all administrative functions of the clinic.
8. Assists in the orientation, education, and training of dental students on clinic procedures and protocols.
9. Adheres to standards set byOSHA,HIPAA,FERPA,CODA, and other standards set by the department.
10.Participates and contributes in committees and discussions regarding clinic operations, materials, protocols, and/or quality assurance.
This position required daily problem solving skills and multi-tasking. Must be able to maintain professional demeanor in stressful or difficult situations.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Seldom: Infectious disease, oils there is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required\:
Nearly Continuously: Hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking, standing, sitting.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
One year of continuous office experience or equivalency; basic computer skills; and successful completion of a medical terminology course provided by the hospital within the first year of employment required. Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills are also required.
Experience withICD-9 andCPT4 coding may be preferred.
One year experience in patient registration, admitting or related work may be preferred.
Care is appropriate to the population served
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Dental office experience preferred
Dentrix and Epic experience preferred
Bilingual in Spanish preferred
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.