University of Utah Medical Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/18/2017
Requisition Number PRN14013B
Job Title Medical Assistant
Working Title Medical Assistant - Student Health Center
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Varies. M-F 7:30-4:30, 8:00-5:00; possible late Tuesdays 10:30-7:30; and some Saturdays 9:00-12:00.
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00306 - Student Health
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $13.50 - 16.50
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Assists in the efficient operation of the Student Health Center by performing a variety of nursing, laboratory, and medical office procedures. Provides assistive care to patients. Facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the providers and RNs, and provides support and assistance as directed by providers and RNs in rendering basic healthcare to patients. Assists with clerical and laboratory functions as needed.
Drug test and background check will be required for this position.
1. Assists nursing staff with maintaining smooth and timely patient flow.
2. Prepares patients for examination (vital signs; height & weight; as needed: eye screening; audiograms; preliminary lab specimen collection)
3. Administers intramuscular, subcutaneous and oral vaccines under the supervision of a physician, NP, or RN.
4. Assists providers with in-office procedures and examinations.
5. Schedules patients for hospital or diagnostic procedures.
6. Prepares instruments & equipment for procedures.
7. Cleans, stocks, and prepares exam rooms.
8. Cleans & prepares instruments for sterilization transport.
9. Assists in front office procedures as needed.
10. Starts IV’s after training per Nurse Mgr. discretion.
11. PerformsSHClaboratory procedures perCLIArules and regulations.
12. Obtains and prepares specimens for laboratory testing.
13. Performs venipuncture on adults for blood specimen collection.
14. Performs rapid antigen tests
15. Plates and processes culture specimens
16. Keeps accurate lab records and adheres toOSHAand Employee Health Standards
17. Verifies charges for lab or radiology work.
18. Assists in maintaining ongoing inventory
19. UsesEMRto enter necessary information for billing and patient record.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Completion of a certified Medical Assistant program or current certification as anEMT- Intermediate in the state of Utah is required. Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card or obtain one within one month of hire; demonstrated phlebotomy skills and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required. Demonstrated proficiency in the specific clinic’s specialty skills within six weeks of hire is required. Specialty skills may not be performed until after the new hire completes competency testing.
Hiring department may prefer Medical Assistant Certification or Registration.
Department Specific Qualifications
- Completion of a certified Medical Assistant program required.
- A commitment to provide excellent customer service required.
- One year related experience andEMRexperience required.
Care is appropriate to the population served.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Electronic Medical Record experience preferred.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.