University of Utah Medical Assistant Certified in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 04/10/2017
Requisition Number PRN13954B
Job Title Medical Assistant Certified
Working Title Medical Assistant Certified
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday-Friday; variable hours
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 00269 - Orthopedic Surgery Operations
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 14.16-22.65
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
This position provides assistive care to patients. The certified incumbent facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the licensed staff, and provides support and assistance as directed by licensed staff in rendering basic healthcare to the patient. This position also assists with clerical functions as a multi-skilled auxiliary worker.
This position may be required to access and administer medications within their scope of practice and according to State Law.
1. Prepares patients for examinations and diagnostic procedures according to clinic procedures such as recording temperatures, pulse rate, blood pressure and responses to standardized medical history questions.
2. Reports all observed patient concerns and changes in condition to a licensed staff member.
3. Performs Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Waved Lab tests as identified by department and reports results to the appropriate personnel. May perform patient phlebotomies in accordance with clinic procedures and physician orders after specialized training.
4. Performs additional skills such as suture removal, straight catheterization and injections (IM, Subq and intra-dermal).
5. Acts as a chaperone for health care providers during patient examination as requested and assists with procedures.
6. Monitors and cleans assigned patient examination rooms, unit areas and unit equipment reporting outdated supplies, stock levels and restock set levels of items and necessary equipment repairs.
7. Answers telephones, forwards telephone messages and under the direction of licensed staff schedules appointments, procedures and diagnostic tests.
8. Assists in routine clerical functions such as filing of medical information in patient’s records, locating and compiling department charts, obtaining medical records from other providers and entering charges for billing purposes.
9. Attends and completes mandatory education including infection prevention and control, safety,CPR, equipment usage and procedures according to hospital and department policies.
10. May apply leads and monitors for diagnostic procedures such asEKGand ultrasound scan under the direct supervision of licensed personnel.
11. May assist inpatient and family education by providing educational material and general health information to patients and family members.
12. May assist with transportation of patients to ancillary departments or inpatient units as directed by licensed staff.
13. May instruct in Basic Life Support (BLS) requirements.
14. May perform IV access.
15. May perform other duties based on department assigned.
Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program or current certification as an AdvancedEMTin the State of Utah.
Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire.
One of the following: Current AdvancedEMTcertification with the State of Utah, current certification to practice as a Paramedic in the State of Utah, current certification as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) throughAAMA, current certification as a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) throughAMT, current certification as a National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) throughNCCT, or current Clinical Medical Assistant Certification throughNHA.
Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
Position includes MA responsibilities at Pediatric Orthopedic office locations including Primary Children’s Hospital, Riverton Hospital, Layton Hospital, future office locations.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.